Is the Tracking Error of the Telescopic Scope Mount a Dealbreaker?

• Thread starter Chronos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scope
In summary, the conversation discusses a telescope with excellent optics, but limitations in the mount for taking pictures. The telescope is recommended for planetary imaging and can be paired with a $500 planetary camera. However, the mount's tracking error may still be a problem even when placed on a permanent pier.
Chronos
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Any first hand reviews on this scope?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
My telescope is the same C11 OTA on a much beefier mount. If you plan to take pictures, the mount will be a serious limitation, but if not you should be ok. The optics, however, are excellent.

I would like to take some pics, stacking if necessary. I saw this scope for 1999 on an equatorial mount. Was intrigued. If you like it, that is all I need to know.

Will the the eq5 mount be adequate on a permanent pier?

The tracking error (periodic error) of that mount is the real killer - a pier doesn't help that.

1. What is a telescopic scope?

A telescopic scope, also known as a telescope, is a device used to magnify distant objects. It consists of a series of lenses or mirrors that work together to gather and focus light, allowing us to see objects that are too far away to be seen with the naked eye.

2. How do I choose the best telescopic scope?

When choosing a telescopic scope, there are a few factors to consider. These include the magnification power, aperture size, and type of mount. The best scope for you will depend on your specific needs and budget. It is recommended to do thorough research and read reviews before making a purchase.

3. What are the advantages of using a telescopic scope?

Telescopic scopes have many advantages, including the ability to see distant objects in greater detail, the ability to view objects that are not visible to the naked eye, and the ability to observe objects at night. They are also compact and portable, making them great for outdoor activities and travel.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using a telescopic scope?

There are a few potential drawbacks to using a telescopic scope. One is that they can be expensive, especially for high-quality scopes. They also require proper setup and alignment, and may not perform well in poor weather conditions. Additionally, some may find it difficult to use the scope without prior experience or training.

5. Can telescopic scopes be used for scientific research?

Yes, telescopic scopes are commonly used in scientific research for a variety of fields such as astronomy, biology, and geology. They allow scientists to observe and study objects and phenomena that are not visible to the naked eye, providing valuable insights and data. However, it is important to choose a scope with the appropriate specifications and capabilities for the specific research being conducted.