Force needed to push box down incline plane

In summary, the question is asking for the force parallel to an inclined plane that will push a 120N block down the plane at constant speed, given that a force of 86N is pushing the block up the plane at the same speed. The equations used to solve this problem are the sum of forces in the x and y directions, and the normal and friction forces. The solution involves finding the coefficient of friction and using it to calculate the force needed to push the block down the plane, which is 3.9 N.
Physics_girl1

Homework Statement

a) if a force of 86N parallel to the surface of a 20 degree incline plane will push a 120N block up the plane at constant speed, what force parallel to the plane will push it down at constant speed?

Homework Equations

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]F(X)=F(A)-F(fr)-mgcos[tex]\vartheta[/tex]=0
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]F(Y)=F(n)-mgsin[tex]\vartheta[/tex]=o
where F(A)= force applied, F(fr)= friction force, F(n)= normal force, mg=weight, F(X)= sum of forces in x direction, and F(Y)- sum of forces in y direction

The Attempt at a Solution

normal force=41.0424
friction force=26.73
my answer is -86.0331

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
my coefficient of friction for this problem=.652

could someone please check my answers?

Physics_girl1 said:

Homework Statement

a) if a force of 86N parallel to the surface of a 20 degree incline plane will push a 120N block up the plane at constant speed, what force parallel to the plane will push it down at constant speed?

Homework Equations

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]F(X)=F(A)-F(fr)-mgcos[tex]\vartheta[/tex]=0
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]F(Y)=F(n)-mgsin[tex]\vartheta[/tex]=o
where F(A)= force applied, F(fr)= friction force, F(n)= normal force, mg=weight, F(X)= sum of forces in x direction, and F(Y)- sum of forces in y direction

The Attempt at a Solution

normal force=41.0424
friction force=26.73
my answer is -86.0331

Physics_girl1 said:
my coefficient of friction for this problem=.652

Physics_girl1 said:
could someone please check my answers?

Hi
Writing out the equation for the force to push up the block with constant speed, i.e. net force is zero.
120 sin 20(component of weight along incline) +120 cos 20 * u(Force of friction, u is the coefficient)=86
solve for u
u=0.399
Now for the second part:
120 sin 20 +F=120 cos 20 *u
F=120 sin 20-120 cos 20 *u
F=3.9 N
dos this help?

1. What is the relationship between the force needed to push a box down an incline plane and the angle of the incline?

The force needed to push a box down an incline plane is directly proportional to the angle of the incline. As the angle of the incline increases, the force needed to push the box also increases. This is because the steeper the incline, the more the weight of the box is acting against the direction of motion, requiring a greater force to overcome.

2. How does the weight of the box affect the force needed to push it down an incline plane?

The weight of the box has a significant impact on the force needed to push it down an incline plane. The force required is directly proportional to the weight of the box. This means that a heavier box will require more force to push down an incline compared to a lighter box.

3. Does the surface of the incline plane affect the force needed to push the box down?

Yes, the surface of the incline plane can affect the force needed to push the box down. A rough surface will create more friction, making it harder to push the box down the incline. On the other hand, a smooth surface will have less friction, requiring less force to push the box down the incline.

4. How can we calculate the force needed to push a box down an incline plane?

The force needed to push a box down an incline plane can be calculated using the formula F = Wsinθ, where F is the force needed, W is the weight of the box, and θ is the angle of the incline. This formula takes into account the weight and the angle of the incline to determine the force needed to overcome gravity and move the box down the incline.

5. Is the force needed to push a box down an incline plane constant?

No, the force needed to push a box down an incline plane is not constant. As the box moves down the incline, the angle of the incline changes, and therefore, the force needed also changes. Additionally, as the box gains speed, the force needed to keep it moving may decrease due to inertia, but the initial force needed to overcome gravity remains the same.