Matlab Plotting of QM double-potential-barrier

In summary, the conversation discussed a quantum mechanics and MATLAB issue regarding the plot of the Transmission Coefficient T(E) for a double-potential barrier with specific dimensions and potential. The individual was using the cascading matrix method to find the coefficients of the wavefunctions and noticed an unexpected result in the graph. They had been working on the problem for two days and were looking for assistance in finding the issue. They also mentioned another problem involving plotting energy vs barrier width.
dLo R6
Hey everyone, I have a quantum mechanics/matlab issue. I'm trying to plot the Transmission Coefficient T(E) of a double-potential barrier with barrier width 3nm and spacing 9nm, potential V = 0.5eV and sweeping energy from 0 to 1eV. Using the cascading matrix method where, given a matrix M of each interface, the beginning and end coefficients of the wavefunctions can be found, with the end wavefunction having a coefficient t and |t|^2 gives the transmission. One would have to probably be familiar with this QM problem to get the whole idea.

Anyway, I wrote out a function to do just what was described, and came across an oddity. I get the correct graph, except it's flipped upside down and rather than being between 0 and 1, it's between infinity and 1, but on the correct scale. see the image below; can anyone pick through this code and possibly see where I've gone wrong or why this graph is showing up the way it is? if someone had some free time i'd really appreciate it, I've been hitting my head against the wall for 2 days now. thanks!

attached image
top: desired plot
bottom: my plot (notice the y axis)

code
%EE270 HW3 Problem 1
% Ryan Dumlao
%Consider a double barrier quantum well with a well width of L= 9 nm,
%barrier widths of d=3 nm, and a barrier height of V0=500 meV. Assume
%that you are considering the GaAs/AlGaAs material system, with an
%electronic effective mass of m*=0.067m0.
clc;

%code for getting a(n) vector
syms x1 x2 x3 x4 x5 aip ain Vo Eo L d r;
N = 2; %number of barriers
x = zeros(2*N);
%for 2-barrier only
L = 10e-9;
d = 10e-9;
x = [-(L/2+d) -L/2 L/2 L/2+d]';
%x = [x1 x2 x3 x4 x5];
Mi = zeros(2,2);
Mf = eye(2,2);
hbar = 6.626e-34/(2*pi);
me = 9.109e-31;
m = 0.067*me;
syms k1 k2 k3 k4 k5;
k = zeros(2*N+1,1);
V = zeros(2*N+1,1);
ai = zeros(2,1);
af = zeros(2,1);
ai = [1;.28];

%funsies
%E1e = hbar^2*pi*2/(2*m*d^2)*6.241e18
%E1GaAs = hbar^2*pi*2/(2*me*d^2)*6.241e18

%fill the potential barrier potential energy vector
for n = 1:2:2*N+1,
V(n) = 0;
V(n+1) = 0.100*1.602e-19;
end

%loop for many energies
for p = 1:1:1400,
E = p*.0001*1.602e-19;
%for each loop we will calculate the M for going in then out of one
%barrier
k(1) = sqrt(2*m*(E-V(1))/hbar^2);
k(2) = sqrt(2*m*(E-V(2))/hbar^2);
k(3) = k(1);
kmax(p) = k(2);
kmin(p) = k(1);

% pass into barrier 1
A = [exp(i*k(1)*x(1)) exp(-i*k(1)*x(1));
i*k(1)*exp(i*k(1)*x(1)) -i*k(1)*exp(-i*k(1)*x(1))];
B = [exp(i*k(2)*x(1)) exp(-i*k(2)*x(1));
i*k(2)*exp(i*k(2)*x(1)) -i*k(2)*exp(-i*k(2)*x(1))];
M1 = inv(B)*A;

% pass out of barrier 1
C = [exp(i*k(2)*x(2)) exp(-i*k(2)*x(2));
i*k(2)*exp(i*k(2)*x(2)) -i*k(2)*exp(-i*k(2)*x(2))];
D = [exp(i*k(1)*x(2)) exp(-i*k(1)*x(2));
i*k(1)*exp(i*k(1)*x(2)) -i*k(1)*exp(-i*k(1)*x(2))];
M2 = inv(D)*C;

% pass into barrier 2
F = [exp(i*k(1)*x(3)) exp(-i*k(1)*x(3));
i*k(1)*exp(i*k(1)*x(3)) -i*k(1)*exp(-i*k(1)*x(3))];
G = [exp(i*k(2)*x(3)) exp(-i*k(2)*x(3));
i*k(2)*exp(i*k(2)*x(3)) -i*k(2)*exp(-i*k(2)*x(3))];
M3 = inv(G)*F;

% pass out of barrier 2
H = [exp(i*k(2)*x(4)) exp(-i*k(2)*x(4));
i*k(2)*exp(i*k(2)*x(4)) -i*k(2)*exp(-i*k(2)*x(4))];
J = [exp(i*k(1)*x(4)) exp(-i*k(1)*x(4));
i*k(1)*exp(i*k(1)*x(4)) -i*k(1)*exp(-i*k(1)*x(4))];
M4 = inv(J)*H;

Mtot = M4*M3*M2*M1;
af=Mtot*ai;
tt(p) = Mtot(1,1)-Mtot(2,1)/Mtot(2,2);
T2(p) = abs(tt(p))^2;
%T(p) = -abs(af(1))^2;
En(p) = p;
end

figure(1);
%semilogy(En/10000,T);
%hold;
semilogy(En,T2,'r');
title('T(E) Double Barrier, d = 3nm L = 9nm, V = 0.5 eV')
xlabel('Energy (eV)');
ylabel('T(E)');

Attachments

• results.JPG
    results.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,199
Physics news on Phys.org
maybe you can help me with a program?
im trying to plot the transmittion coeffiecet vs energy
for an arbitrary seriers of step potencials with the same step potencial and length

please i have another problem i want to get the graph of energy vs barrier width .i hav done the program in wolferm methamatica but cannot find the output .please help

1. What is a double-potential-barrier in quantum mechanics?

A double-potential-barrier is a concept in quantum mechanics where a particle is trapped between two potential barriers. These barriers act as a potential energy barrier that the particle must overcome in order to move freely. It is often used to model the behavior of particles in a confined space, such as an electron in a semiconductor device.

2. How can I plot a double-potential-barrier in Matlab?

To plot a double-potential-barrier in Matlab, you can use the function "plot" and specify the x and y coordinates of the potential barrier. You can also use the "fill" function to fill the area between the barriers and the x-axis to represent the trapped particle. Make sure to also label your axes and add a legend to your plot for clarity.

3. What information can be obtained from a plotted double-potential-barrier?

A plotted double-potential-barrier can provide information about the potential energy of the particle, the width and height of the barriers, and the probability of the particle being trapped between the barriers. It can also show the behavior of the particle as it interacts with the barriers, such as tunneling or reflection.

4. Are there any limitations to using Matlab for plotting double-potential-barriers in quantum mechanics?

While Matlab is a powerful tool for plotting, it is important to keep in mind that it is a numerical simulation and may not accurately represent the behavior of quantum particles in a physical system. It is also limited in its ability to handle complex quantum systems with multiple particles and interactions.

5. Can I use Matlab to simulate the dynamics of a particle in a double-potential-barrier system?

Yes, Matlab has built-in functions for simulating quantum systems, such as "ode45" for solving differential equations. By defining the potential energy function of the double-potential-barrier, you can use these functions to simulate the time evolution of a particle in the system and plot its position over time.