IR spectra and point group symmetry

In summary, The conversation discusses the reaction of anisole with hexacarbonylchromium and how it results in the displacement of carbonyl ligands and the formation of a 2-η ligand with the chromium ion. The IR and nmr spectra of the resulting compound were obtained, with the IR spectra showing distinct peaks at 1830 cm-1 and 1930 cm-1, which could be attributed to CO stretching and backbonding of electrons to the carbonyl ligands. The point group symmetry of the complex is believed to affect the IR spectra, but further investigation is needed. The conversation ends with a question about comparing the spectrum of pure Cr(CO)6 to the obtained spectrum.
Bladibla
Hello

I'm currently studying the reaction of anisole with hexacarbonylchromium, and experiment shows the displacement of 2 of the carbonyl ligands with the anisole group, forming a 2-η ligand with the chromium ion.

After refluxing to obtain the crystals, IR and nmr spectra of the sample were obtained; Apprarently, the point group symmetry of the complex affects the IR spectra of the Cr(CO)4(anisole) compound, but I cannot see how it would affect the IR. Currently, In my IR spectra, I have a distinct peak at 1830 cm-1 corresponding the the CO stretch, and a lesser but nevetheless signficant peak at 1930 cm-1, which I can currently hypothesise is due to the backbonding of electrons to the carbonyl ligands.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I doubt anyone can say offhand. But yeah, probably the C-Cr stretch. Have you compard to the spectrum of pure Cr(CO)6?

Hello,

I can understand your curiosity about the relationship between IR spectra and point group symmetry in the reaction you are studying. Point group symmetry is an important factor to consider in the interpretation of IR spectra. In this case, the point group symmetry of the complex may affect the vibrational modes of the molecule, resulting in changes in the IR spectra.

For example, the presence of a C2 axis of symmetry in the complex may lead to degenerate stretching modes, leading to a splitting or broadening of the CO stretch peak in the IR spectra. This can also explain the appearance of a peak at 1930 cm-1, which may correspond to a different vibrational mode of the CO ligand in the complex.

Furthermore, the presence of a mirror plane of symmetry in the complex may also affect the IR spectra, as it can result in changes in the dipole moment of the molecule and thus, the intensity of certain peaks in the IR spectra.

I suggest looking into the point group symmetry of the complex and comparing it to the expected IR spectra for a molecule with that symmetry. This can help in understanding the observed peaks and their intensities in the IR spectra. Additionally, conducting further experiments with different conditions or varying the point group symmetry of the complex may provide more insights into the relationship between IR spectra and point group symmetry in this reaction.

I hope this helps in your research and understanding of the complex reaction you are studying. Best of luck.

1. What is an IR spectrum?

An IR spectrum is a graph that shows the intensity of light absorbed by a molecule at different frequencies. It provides information about the types of chemical bonds present in the molecule.

2. How is an IR spectrum used in chemistry?

IR spectra are commonly used to identify the functional groups present in a molecule, as each functional group absorbs light at specific frequencies. This information can also be used to determine the structure of a molecule.

3. What is point group symmetry?

Point group symmetry is a system used to describe the symmetry of a molecule. It is based on the arrangement of atoms in a molecule and can help predict the vibrational modes and IR spectra of a molecule.

4. How does point group symmetry affect IR spectra?

The point group symmetry of a molecule is directly related to its IR spectrum. Molecules with higher symmetry have fewer vibrational modes and therefore fewer peaks in their IR spectra. This can aid in the identification and characterization of a molecule.

5. How can IR spectra and point group symmetry be used together?

By analyzing the IR spectrum of a molecule and determining its point group symmetry, scientists can gain a better understanding of the molecule's structure and functional groups. This information can also be used to predict the reactivity and properties of the molecule.