Strongly interacting vs Weakly interacting particles

• Thread starter deepurple
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particles
In summary, the speaker is a mathematician who is trying to understand a physics paper for their research. They have a college background in physics but are not a physicist. They are specifically trying to grasp the difference between strongly interacting systems and weakly interacting systems, which are used frequently in the paper. The speaker requests a brief explanation of the subject and mentions that they are unsure if they have posted in the correct forum. The difference between strongly interacting and weakly interacting systems is that weakly interacting systems can be solved using perturbation theory, while strongly interacting systems cannot. However, it is possible to perform perturbation theory about other points of theory space. The speaker thanks the person for their response.
deepurple
I am a mathematician, and I am trying to figure out a physics paper for my research. I am not a physicist but I have some college background on physics.

I am trying to understand the difference between strongly interacting systems compared to weakly interacting systems.. These are used very ubiquitously in the paper, and they seem to be obvious for the right audience.

Could you please brief me on the subject? ( I hope I post to the correct forum)

Physics news on Phys.org
Essentially, something is weakly interacting if you can perform a perturbative calculation. More accurately, a perturbative approximation, since most of the time the expansion is only asymptotically convergent. Strongly interacting is whenever this is not possible.

Usually, we perform expansions about Gaussian theories, since they are exactly solvable. This then leads to the usual formalisms with Feynman diagrams or Dyson equations. In principle however, there is nothing to stop you doing perturbation theory about other points of theory space.

Thanks for the response.. This was all I need

1. What is the difference between strongly interacting and weakly interacting particles?

Strongly interacting particles are particles that interact with each other through the strong nuclear force, which is one of the four fundamental forces in nature. This force is responsible for holding the nucleus of an atom together. Weakly interacting particles, on the other hand, interact through the weak nuclear force, which is responsible for radioactive decay. This force is much weaker than the strong nuclear force.

2. Can you give some examples of strongly interacting particles?

Some examples of strongly interacting particles are protons, neutrons, and mesons. These particles are made up of quarks, which are bound together by the strong nuclear force.

3. What are some examples of weakly interacting particles?

Some examples of weakly interacting particles are neutrinos, which are produced during radioactive decay, and W and Z bosons, which are responsible for mediating the weak nuclear force.

4. How do strongly interacting and weakly interacting particles affect the behavior of matter?

Strongly interacting particles are responsible for the stability of matter, as they hold the nucleus of an atom together. Without the strong nuclear force, atoms would fall apart. Weakly interacting particles, on the other hand, contribute to the decay of matter and play a role in the nuclear reactions that power stars.

5. Are there any real-world applications of understanding the difference between strongly interacting and weakly interacting particles?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of understanding the difference between strongly interacting and weakly interacting particles. For example, nuclear power plants use the process of nuclear fission, which involves the interaction of strongly interacting particles, to generate electricity. In medical imaging, radioactive isotopes, which emit weakly interacting particles, are used to diagnose and treat diseases. Understanding these interactions also helps scientists to better understand the fundamental laws of nature and the behavior of matter on a microscopic level.