Equations of a Plane/Hyperplane

• Thread starter AngelofMusic
  • Start date
In summary, to solve for a plane containing n points in n-dimensional space, you would need to solve 3 equations: one for the x-axis, one for the y-axis, and one for the z-axis.
AngelofMusic

Homework Statement

Given 3 points in 3-dimensional space, Find the equation of a plane containing those 3 points. How would you generalize this to n points in n-dimensional space?

Homework Equations

Equation of a Plane: ax + by + cz + d = 0 (1)
Equation of a Hyperplane: [tex]a_1 x_1 + ... + a_n x_n + d=0[/tex] (2)

The Attempt at a Solution

For the 3-D case, I simply substituted the 3 points into the equation. For example, p1 = (x1, y1, z1), p2 = (x2, y2, z2), p3=(x3, y3, z3).

ax1 + by1 + cz1 = -d
ax2 + by2 + cz2 = -d
ax3 + by3 + cz3 = -d

ax1 + by1 + cz1 = ax2 + by2 + cz2
=> a(x1-x2) + b(y1-y2) + c(z1-z2) = 0

Similarly,

a(x1-x3) + b(y1-y3) + c(z1-z3) = 0

and

a(x2-x3) + b(y2-y3) + c(z2-z3) = 0

Which is 3 equations with 3 unknowns that can be solved.

Where I'm stumped is how I would generalize this to the n-dimensional case. I have a feeling that maybe I'm doing this the 'dumb' way and there's a far more elegant solution (perhaps involving matrices?) for solving the 3-D case that will extend more easily to the n-dimensional case.

Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
AngelofMusic said:
Given 3 points in 3-dimensional space, Find the equation of a plane containing those 3 points. How would you generalize this to n points in n-dimensional space?

Hi AngelofMusic! :smile:

Hint: find the normal (and don't use coordinates, use whole vectors) …

try the 3D case first: for three vectors a b and c, what can you say about the normal? :wink:

The plane is the determinant:

[tex]\begin{vmatrix}
x-x_1 & y-y_1 & z-z_1\\
x_2-x_1 & y_2-y_1 & z_2-z_1 \\
x_3-x_1 & y_3-x_1 & z_3-z_1
\end{vmatrix}=0[/tex]

Where [itex]M_1(x_1,y_1), M_2(x_2,y_2), M_3(x_3,y_3)[/itex].

tiny-tim said:
Hi AngelofMusic! :smile:

Hint: find the normal (and don't use coordinates, use whole vectors) …

try the 3D case first: for three vectors a b and c, what can you say about the normal? :wink:

One such normal would be n = (a-b)x(b-c), right? So for the n-dimensional case, would I just repeatedly take cross products of the vectors? The wikipedia page on surface normals has a neat solution where [tex]n=(AA^T + bb^T)^{-1} b[/tex], but they don't show how that is derived.

Thanks a lot for the help so far! I can deal with 3-D cases relatively well, but my mind just isn't wrapping around the n-dimensional algebra very well at the moment.

What is the equation of a plane?

The equation of a plane is a mathematical representation of a two-dimensional flat surface in a three-dimensional space. It is usually written in the form of Ax + By + Cz + D = 0, where A, B, and C are the coefficients of the variables x, y, and z, and D is a constant.

What is a hyperplane?

A hyperplane is a higher-dimensional version of a plane. It is a mathematical concept that represents a flat surface in a space with more than three dimensions. In a four-dimensional space, for example, a hyperplane will have three dimensions and can be represented by an equation in the form of Ax + By + Cz + Dw + E = 0.

How do you find the equation of a plane given three points?

To find the equation of a plane given three points, you can use the three-point form of a plane equation. This involves using the coordinates of the three points to set up a system of equations and solving for the coefficients of the variables. Alternatively, you can also use the vector form of a plane equation, which involves finding two non-parallel vectors on the plane and using them to write the equation.

What is the normal vector of a plane?

The normal vector of a plane is a vector that is perpendicular to the plane. It is represented by the coefficients of the variables in the equation of the plane. For example, in the equation Ax + By + Cz + D = 0, the normal vector is n = (A, B, C). The normal vector is important in determining the orientation and properties of the plane.

How do you determine if a point lies on a plane?

To determine if a point lies on a plane, you can substitute the coordinates of the point into the equation of the plane. If the resulting equation is true, then the point lies on the plane. If the resulting equation is false, then the point does not lie on the plane. Alternatively, you can also use the dot product between the normal vector of the plane and the vector connecting the point to a known point on the plane. If the dot product is equal to 0, then the point lies on the plane.