Earth's Surface Area that reflects light

In summary, the textbook is wrong and the effective surface of the Earth is only one quarter of its surface. Thanks for the explanation.
dsfranca
Hi!
I was reading about the relationship between the surface area of Earth that reflects light and the one that radiates. As the whole Earth emits radiation, the area that would radiate is A=4[tex]\Pi[/tex]r2, where r is the radius of earth. But the weird part is that the textbook says that only one quarter ([tex]\Pi[/tex]r) of the Earth's surface reflects light. Why isn't it half of the surface? Afterall half of the surface is illuminated by day!
Am I missing something or is the textbook wrong, as he uses this information many times!
Thanks

Science news on Phys.org
The effective surface of the Earth that is being illuminated by sunlight at any given time is only pi r2 (the cross section seen by the Sun), not 2 pi r2 (half of 4 pi r2).

Thanks for the answer, but I still did not understand why the effective surface is only one quarter of the Earth's surface. Could you go into more detail please?
Thanks

I agree w/ Bob S, the book probably means that the *projected* area of a hemisphere exposed to a plane wave is pi*r^2 (i.e. a circle of radius 'r'). You have to take into account the orientation of the surface with respect to the incident wavefront.

Perhaps it makes more sense geometrically- when you are looking at the (full) moon you do not perceive it to be a hemispherical object, it appears to be a circle.

And, the area of a circle is 1/4 the area of a sphere.

Yes, I see what you mean, but wouldn't 2[tex]$2\pi r^{2}$ [/tex] be a better approximation
in this case? Afterall, I am trying to determine the area of the earth's
surface that is reflecting light, and by common knowledge, one would
say that half of the Earth is always illuminated (half of the earth
is having a day while the other a night). Where is the flaw in this
argument and why is this not a better approximation?

Hi dsfranca! :smile:

(have a pi: π and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Suppose the Earth was a spherical mirror …

then it would reflect all the light falling on it …

but that would be the same amount of light as if the Earth was replaced by a flat disc of the same diameter …

so the "effective surface" is the area of that disc, which is πr2, or AEarth/4. :wink:

Hum! Everything makes sense now, how could I not have considered optics when talking about reflection! Thank you for the explanation tiny-tim!

1. What is Earth's surface area?

Earth's surface area is approximately 510.1 million square kilometers.

2. How much of Earth's surface area reflects light?

About 30% of Earth's surface area reflects light, specifically from the land and ocean surfaces.

3. Why does Earth's surface reflect light?

Earth's surface reflects light due to a phenomenon called albedo, which is the measure of how much light is reflected by a surface. Different surfaces have different albedo values, with lighter surfaces reflecting more light than darker surfaces.

4. How does Earth's surface reflect light impact climate change?

The amount of light reflected by Earth's surface can have a significant impact on climate change. As more light is reflected, less heat is absorbed, which can result in cooler temperatures. However, as Earth's surface warms, it can also change the albedo of certain surfaces, leading to a positive feedback loop that accelerates climate change.

5. Can we measure Earth's surface area that reflects light?

Yes, scientists use various methods to measure Earth's surface area that reflects light, including remote sensing techniques and satellite imagery. These measurements help us better understand Earth's climate and how it is changing over time.