How to Balance Redox Reactions in Aqueous Solution

In summary, using half reactions to balance redox equations can be done quickly and easily if you're not afraid of algebra.
downwithsocks

Homework Statement

HIO3 + FeI2 + HCl ==> FeCl3 + ICl + HOH

Homework Equations

Directions say it's in an aqueous solution, and HCl is a reactant, so you can add H2O and H+ to balance, right?

The Attempt at a Solution

I first found all the oxidation states:
HIO3
H = +1
I = +5
O = -2

FeI2
Fe = +2
I = -1

HCl
H = +1
Cl = -1

FeCl3
Fe = +3 (oxidation)
Cl = -1

ICl
I = +1 (reduction)
Cl = -1

HOH
H = +1
O = -2

Then tried writing/balancing the half reactions.

FeI2 ==> FeCl3 + e-

But I'm kind of stuck here, can I use HCl to balance? How else do I balance that Cl? And what about the I?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have to balance the equation given or something else (net ionic equation, half-reaction)?

To balance the equation you gave, first balance iodine and chlorine, then oxygen and then hydrogen, then keep going. That should help get you started.

I have to balance the equation given, but obviously using half reactions and such since it's a redox equation.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "first balance iodine and chlorine".
If I have "FeI2 ==> FeCl3 + e-" as part of one half-reaction, how exactly do I balance the iodine and chlorine? Since ICl is a product, can I use that to help balance?
ie, FeI2 ==> FeCl3 + e- + 2ICl
? And then from there how would I balance the Cl?

downwithsocks said:
I have to balance the equation given, but obviously using half reactions and such since it's a redox equation.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "first balance iodine and chlorine".

I meant in the original chemical equation.

So I have to balance the original equation before trying to balance it the redox way? That seems like it would take forever, I thought that was the point of the half-reactions and such :p

I think it can be done in 10-15 minutes that way, if you don't make a mistake.

Half-reactions or some other way might be easier or faster, but I've never worked with them.

This one is tricky, there are two things being oxidized and two being reduced at the same time. I would go for algebraic approach (of balancing chemical equations). If you were told to balance, but method was not enforced, you should select the one that gets job done. Doesn't matter which one it is.

--

Well, we weren't specifically told how, but it's practicing balancing redox equations and that's the way we were taught, so I assume that's the way the teacher wants it done. I'll check out your link though, thanks.

1. What is a redox reaction?

A redox reaction, also known as an oxidation-reduction reaction, is a chemical process in which electrons are transferred between two substances. One substance loses electrons (oxidation) while the other gains electrons (reduction).

2. Why is it important to balance redox reactions?

Balancing redox reactions is important because it ensures that the number of electrons transferred in the reaction is equal on both sides, maintaining the overall charge balance. This also helps to accurately determine the stoichiometry of the reaction and the amount of each substance required.

3. How do you balance a redox reaction?

To balance a redox reaction, you must first identify the oxidized and reduced species. Then, balance the atoms and charges in the half-reactions by adding appropriate coefficients and adjusting the number of electrons transferred. Finally, balance the overall reaction by multiplying the half-reactions by the appropriate coefficients and canceling out any common terms.

4. What is the difference between balancing redox reactions in acidic and basic solutions?

In acidic solutions, H+ ions and water molecules are added to balance the charges and atoms in the reaction. In basic solutions, OH- ions are added to balance the charges and then H+ ions are added to balance the hydrogen atoms. The final step is to neutralize the excess OH- ions and H+ ions by adding them to opposite sides of the equation.

5. Can redox reactions be balanced using the half-reaction method?

Yes, the half-reaction method is often used to balance redox reactions. The first step is to divide the reaction into two half-reactions, one for the oxidation and one for the reduction. Then, balance each half-reaction separately and combine them to form the balanced overall reaction.