Solving 2nd Order Nonlinear DE: Analyzing Effects of g Changes

Your Name]In summary, Dan is seeking help with analyzing a differential equation involving the variables v, g, b, and n. He has already broken down the problem and found alternative ways to represent it, but acknowledges that it cannot be solved analytically. He is specifically interested in understanding how the system behaves as g changes and proving that v''' > 0. Suggestions for approaching the problem include using software programs or mathematical techniques, such as stability analysis, to analyze the system.
DanS
Hi everyone,

I'm having a hard time analyzing the following problem:

b v(x) = -exp(-x) - 1/2 ( g v'(x) )^2 - n x v'(x) + S(g) v''(x)

where:
v' = dv/dx, etc.
0 < b< 1
g > 0
n > 0
S(g) >0 and S'(g) >0
x \in (-inf, inf)

The main goal is to figure out what happens as g changes. Specifically, I want to know if the cross partial:
( d^2v(x) )/ (dx dg) >= - (dv/dx)/g

For what it's worth, I know that v'>0 and v''<0. Also, v<0 for all x.

I have also written the problem as a 2 dimensional non-autonomous system of differential equations where:
z = v'
y = b v + 1/2 (g v')^2

Then the dynamical system becomes:
z' = ( y + exp(x) + n x z )/S(g)
y' = b z + g^2 z ( y + exp(x) + n x z )/S(g)

as another alternative, a function w(x) = exp(x) can be used to turn this into a 3 dimensional autonomous system.

I don't think this DE can be solved analytically, but any help would be very much appreciated. As I said, I'm specifically interested in what happens as g changes, but I'd also like to prove that v'''>0 (observed in numerical simulations).

Thank you very much in advance,
Dan

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Dan,

Thank you for sharing your problem with us. It seems like you have already made some progress in breaking down the problem and finding alternative ways to represent it. This is a good start, as it allows for different approaches to analyzing the system.

I agree with you that this differential equation cannot be solved analytically, so we will need to rely on numerical methods to analyze it. One approach you could take is to use a software program, such as MATLAB or Mathematica, to simulate the system for different values of g and observe the behavior of the solution. This could help you see any patterns or trends as g changes and potentially provide insight into the behavior of the cross partial and v'''.

Another approach is to use mathematical techniques, such as stability analysis, to analyze the behavior of the system. This could also help you understand how the system behaves as g changes. Depending on the specific values of b, n, and S(g), you may be able to make some general statements about the behavior of the system.

In terms of proving that v''' > 0, this may be more challenging without an analytical solution. However, you could try using numerical methods to approximate the third derivative and observe its behavior for different values of g. This could give you some evidence to support your observation from simulations.

I hope this helps and good luck with your analysis! Let me know if you have any further questions.

What is a second order nonlinear differential equation?

A second order nonlinear differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a second derivative of a dependent variable with respect to an independent variable, and the dependent variable is also raised to a power or multiplied by a nonlinear function.

Why is it important to solve second order nonlinear differential equations?

Solving second order nonlinear differential equations allows us to model and understand complex systems in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology. It also helps us make predictions and optimize systems for various applications.

What are the effects of changing the value of g in a second order nonlinear differential equation?

The value of g can affect the behavior of the system by changing the stability and nature of the solutions. A larger g can lead to more complex and chaotic behavior, while a smaller g can result in more stable and predictable solutions.

How do you analyze the effects of g changes on a second order nonlinear differential equation?

To analyze the effects of g changes, we can use techniques such as phase portraits, bifurcation diagrams, and numerical simulations. These methods help us visualize and understand the behavior of the system for different values of g.

What are some real-world applications of solving second order nonlinear differential equations?

Second order nonlinear differential equations are used in many fields, such as studying population dynamics, analyzing the behavior of electrical circuits, and modeling chemical reactions. They are also useful in understanding complex biological systems and predicting the motion of objects in space.