Need career guidance Nuclear Engineeringor?

In summary, the conversation discussed a recent physics graduate's interest in pursuing a Master's degree in either Nuclear Engineering or Solar Technology. It was suggested to research universities in countries like the US, UK, and Canada for nuclear engineering programs, and to consider Master's programs in renewable energy for solar technology. The decision ultimately depends on personal interests and career goals.
paul143
Need career guidance! Nuclear Engineering..or??

Hi everyone!

I just graduated from an undergraduate degree in physics...and now I'm stumped as to what i should be doing next. I'm thinking of working at a local company for a year then proceed to taking higher degree courses. As of now, I live in the 3rd World country called the Philippines which is suffering the worst Electricity-Shortage problem in our history...If only we had 300MW more of power..oh yeah! there was this one nuclear powerplant that was constructed many years back but was not put into operation because of fears (unbased fears).

That is why I thought I would pursue a Master's degree in Nuclear Engineering in the future. Of course we don't have that kind advanced course here in our country, that is why i prefer to study somewhere abroad. I have this extended family in the city of Melbourne, Australia...that is why I would like to ask if is there anyone around here that has an idea if there are competent universities that offer such a course as above? By the way, I do not come from such a well-off family and would prefer that the university I enroll in would offer scholarships. In terms of academic background, I could say I am not that much lacking. I graduated Magna Cum Laude and have a couple of extra-curricular awards and activities.

On the other hand, I predict that solar technology would become our primary source of energy in the future. So I also thought that if not Nuclear, let's go solar! So which do you thing would be better than both? What Master's Degree should I take if I wanted to be an credible expert (redundant yes?) in Solar technology? Are there any known universities in Australia that offer such a course?

Any help will be very much appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
One might look into ANU, Canberra ACT, Australia
http://physics.anu.edu.au/nuclear/

Both solar and wind technologies are viable technologies, and for those, one could obtain an undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering or Physics.

Otherwise, if one wanted to Nuclear Engineering, the best opportunity may be in the US at one of the following institutions:

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Purdue University-West Lafayette (IN)
Texas A&M University-College Station
North Carolina State University
Pennsylvania Station University-University Park
University of California-Berkeley
Oregon State University
University of Illinois-Urbana-Champaign
University of Tennessee-Knoxville
University of Florida
Georgia Institute of Technology
University of Missouri-Columbia
Ohio State University
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (NY)

Hi there! As a fellow physics graduate, I completely understand your dilemma. It can be overwhelming trying to decide on a career path, especially when there are so many options available.

First of all, congratulations on your academic achievements and your interest in pursuing higher education. Nuclear engineering is definitely a growing field, especially in developing countries where there is a pressing need for more reliable and efficient sources of energy. However, it's important to carefully consider the potential risks and concerns associated with nuclear power before committing to a degree in this field.

If you're interested in pursuing a Master's degree in Nuclear Engineering, I would recommend researching universities in countries like the US, UK, and Canada, as they have some of the top programs in this field. Many of these universities also offer scholarships and financial aid for international students, so it's worth looking into.

As for solar technology, it's definitely a promising field with a lot of potential for growth. If you're interested in becoming an expert in this area, I would suggest looking into Master's programs in renewable energy or sustainable energy at universities in Australia or other countries with a strong focus on renewable energy.

Ultimately, the decision between nuclear engineering and solar technology will depend on your personal interests and career goals. Both fields have their own unique challenges and opportunities, so it's important to do your research and carefully weigh your options before making a decision. I wish you all the best in your academic and career pursuits!

1. What is nuclear engineering?

Nuclear engineering is a field of study that focuses on the application of nuclear energy in various industries, including power generation, medicine, and defense. It involves the design, development, and maintenance of nuclear systems and technologies, such as nuclear power plants and radiation therapy equipment.

2. What are the job prospects for nuclear engineers?

The job outlook for nuclear engineers is positive, with a projected growth rate of 4% from 2019 to 2029. This is slightly slower than the average growth rate for all occupations, but there is still a demand for professionals in this field due to the importance of nuclear energy in meeting global energy needs.

3. What skills are required for a career in nuclear engineering?

Some of the key skills needed for a career in nuclear engineering include a strong background in mathematics, physics, and chemistry, as well as critical thinking, problem-solving, and attention to detail. Knowledge of computer-aided design (CAD) software and experience with nuclear safety protocols are also important.

4. What are the potential risks and safety concerns in nuclear engineering?

Nuclear engineering involves working with radioactive materials, which can pose health risks if not handled properly. Therefore, nuclear engineers must follow strict safety protocols and undergo extensive training to minimize any potential risks. In addition, the design and operation of nuclear systems must also prioritize safety to prevent accidents and minimize the impact of any incidents.

5. What are the educational requirements for a career in nuclear engineering?

To become a nuclear engineer, one typically needs at least a bachelor's degree in nuclear engineering or a related field, such as mechanical or electrical engineering. Some positions may require a master's or doctoral degree, especially for research or academic roles. It is also recommended to obtain a license from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) for certain job positions.