Understanding Magneto-Resistive Sensors in Earth's Magnetic Field Rotation

• Thread starter Aquilia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sensor
In summary, the speaker is looking for information on the voltage output of a magneto-resistive sensor when placed in Earth's magnetic field and rotated 360 degrees. They have searched the internet for information but have not found anything specific. They are asking for any recommendations for a site that can provide this information, but also need to reference it for their assignment.
Aquilia
Hi!

um, i have a problem with my assignment. (don't worry, I'm not asking for the whole thing to be solved here!). and basically i have to sketch the voltage output of a magneto-resistive sensor when it's placed in Earth's magnetic field and rotated 360 degrees. the horizontal component of the field is assumed to be zero. i have trawled the internet for information and found none. does anyone know a site which will provide this information? well, i don't mind a direct answer but i need to reference everything!

thank yooouuuuu :blushing:

Physics news on Phys.org
Aquilia said:
Hi!

um, i have a problem with my assignment. (don't worry, I'm not asking for the whole thing to be solved here!). and basically i have to sketch the voltage output of a magneto-resistive sensor when it's placed in Earth's magnetic field and rotated 360 degrees. the horizontal component of the field is assumed to be zero. i have trawled the internet for information and found none. does anyone know a site which will provide this information? well, i don't mind a direct answer but i need to reference everything!

thank yooouuuuu :blushing:

So when you googled magneto-resistive sensor, and read through the hit list, what did you find for specific information about the transfer function of the device?

http://www.google.com/search?source...4GGLL_enUS301US302&q=magneto-resistive+sensor

1. What is a magneto-resistive sensor?

A magneto-resistive sensor is a type of sensor that measures changes in magnetic fields. It uses the magneto-resistive effect, which is the change in resistance of a material when exposed to a magnetic field, to detect and measure the strength and direction of a magnetic field.

2. How does a magneto-resistive sensor work?

A magneto-resistive sensor works by using a small strip of magneto-resistive material, such as permalloy, sandwiched between two electrodes. When a magnetic field is applied, the resistance of the material changes, causing a change in the voltage or current flowing through the sensor. This change is then converted into a measurable output signal.

3. What are the advantages of using a magneto-resistive sensor?

There are several advantages to using a magneto-resistive sensor, including high sensitivity, fast response time, and low power consumption. They are also compact and can be easily integrated into electronic devices. Additionally, they are less sensitive to temperature changes compared to other types of sensors.

4. What are the applications of magneto-resistive sensors?

Magneto-resistive sensors have a wide range of applications, including in compasses, magnetic field mapping, and magnetic data storage devices. They are also used in automotive and industrial applications for detecting and measuring the position, speed, and direction of moving objects.

5. How accurate are magneto-resistive sensors?

The accuracy of a magneto-resistive sensor depends on various factors, such as the quality of the material, the strength of the magnetic field, and the design of the sensor. Generally, they have a high accuracy, with some sensors capable of measuring changes in magnetic fields as small as a few microteslas.