Relationship between PWM, Torque and Duty for a 3D Crane System

In summary, the conversation is about finding the relationship between PWM and torque in a 3D crane system controlled by three DC motors. The duty cycle of the PWM signal is proportional to the voltage and torque is linearly proportional to the power delivered. The power is calculated by multiplying voltage and current, and since the coil resistance is constant, the power is directly proportional to the square of the voltage. The speaker will test the system and provide further updates. Additional ideas and input from others are welcome.
carlosreyes
I am working on a 3D crane system, the system has three dc motors for y, x and z axis, and i control them with a PWM signal. i need to find the relationship between pwm and torque or torque and duty. could someone help me, thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Aren't they proportional by a square? If you have a 0-5V PWM signal at some frequency, the duty cycle is essentially the percentage of that p-p voltage (e.g., 50% duty cycle gives an effective (I think this is the word. The voltage you see for all practical purposes) voltage of 2.5V, 75% duty cycle gives 3.75V effective voltage) (PWM duty cycle is essentially the percentage of the period the signal is high or on). If I'm not mistaken, torque is linearly proportional to the power you deliver it. Power is V*I or V^2/R, and your coil resistance ideally is constant while powered, so you'll get a power proportional to the square of any given voltage you apply to the coil. So, I would say torque is directly proportional to the square of your voltage seen by any given PWM duty cycle (with some constant multiplier having to do with your motor, driver, signal levels, etc).

I'm not sure though. Just throwing out some ideas.

Last edited:
thanks for the ideas, right now i am testing the system, i will reply this post when i finish.

and if your or somebody else has some ideas they are welcome

thanks

1. How does the duty cycle of a PWM signal affect the torque output of a 3D crane system?

The duty cycle of a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) signal is directly proportional to the torque output of a 3D crane system. This means that as the duty cycle increases, the torque output also increases. This is because a longer duty cycle allows for more power to be delivered to the motor, resulting in a stronger torque output.

2. What is the relationship between PWM frequency and torque in a 3D crane system?

The PWM frequency does not have a direct effect on the torque output of a 3D crane system. However, a higher PWM frequency can result in smoother and more precise control of the motor, which can indirectly affect the torque output. It is important to find a balance between the PWM frequency and duty cycle for optimal torque output.

3. Can a change in PWM duty cycle affect the speed of a 3D crane system?

Yes, a change in PWM duty cycle can affect the speed of a 3D crane system. As mentioned earlier, a longer duty cycle allows for more power to be delivered to the motor, resulting in a stronger torque output. This stronger torque output can increase the speed of the crane system.

4. How does the weight of a load being lifted by a 3D crane system affect the relationship between PWM, torque, and duty cycle?

The weight of the load being lifted by a 3D crane system can affect the relationship between PWM, torque, and duty cycle. A heavier load will require a higher duty cycle to maintain a constant torque output. This is because the motor needs more power to lift a heavier load, and a longer duty cycle provides this power.

5. What factors should be considered when determining the optimal PWM duty cycle for a 3D crane system?

When determining the optimal PWM duty cycle for a 3D crane system, factors such as the weight of the load, desired speed, and motor capabilities should be taken into consideration. It is important to find a balance between the duty cycle and PWM frequency to achieve the desired torque and speed for the specific crane system. Additionally, environmental factors such as wind and friction should also be considered when determining the optimal duty cycle.