Can I get +5/-5vdc from 9v battery

• Thread starter epcole
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Battery
In summary, to supply +/-5v for power using TL084, you can use an inverting DC-DC converter or create a square wave oscillator with a high pass RC network and rectifier. However, the current capability will be limited and it may be easier to use two 9V batteries.
epcole
Using TL084 and want to supply +/-5v for power. I heard there is a way to do it with 9v battery but I can't find any info. anybody have an idea on how its done?
thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
epcole said:
Using TL084 and want to supply +/-5v for power. I heard there is a way to do it with 9v battery but I can't find any info. anybody have an idea on how its done?
thanks

Can you just use two 9V batteries?

If not, use an inverting DC-DC converter to give you the negative rail.

You can easily get +4.5 V and -4.5V. Is that good enough?

One method would be to use the TL084 to make a square wave oscillator. Then at the output use a high pass RC network to feed both a positive and a negative rectifier. You may need to regulate the voltage to +5 V and -5 V. Your current capability will be very limited.

1. Can I use a 9v battery to get +5/-5vdc?

Yes, it is possible to get +5/-5vdc from a 9v battery by using a voltage regulator. A voltage regulator is a type of electronic circuit that can convert a higher voltage into a lower, more stable voltage. It is commonly used in electronic devices to ensure that the correct voltage is supplied to the components.

2. How much current can I draw from a 9v battery if I use a voltage regulator?

The amount of current that can be drawn from a 9v battery depends on the specifications of the voltage regulator being used. Generally, a voltage regulator can handle up to 1 amp of current, but it is always best to check the datasheet of the specific regulator you are using to determine its maximum current output.

3. Is it safe to use a voltage regulator to get +5/-5vdc from a 9v battery?

Yes, it is safe to use a voltage regulator to obtain +5/-5vdc from a 9v battery. A voltage regulator is designed to regulate the voltage and prevent any fluctuations or surges, which can help protect your electronic components. However, it is always important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and use the appropriate components for your specific project.

4. Can I use a voltage regulator to power multiple electronic devices?

Yes, a voltage regulator can be used to power multiple electronic devices as long as the total current draw does not exceed the maximum current output of the regulator. It is important to calculate the total current needed for all devices and choose a voltage regulator with a higher current output if necessary.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using a voltage regulator to get +5/-5vdc from a 9v battery?

One potential disadvantage of using a voltage regulator is that it can generate heat, especially if the current draw is high. This heat can cause the voltage regulator to overheat and potentially malfunction. It is important to consider the power requirements of your project and choose a voltage regulator that can handle the necessary current without generating too much heat.