A car crashes into a concrete wall

In summary, the problem involves a 2000-kg car traveling at 85.0 km/h crashing into a concrete wall with no give. The task is to estimate the time of collision, assuming the car's center travels halfway to the wall with constant deceleration. The equations of kinematic motion can be used to find the acceleration, which can then be used to determine the time based on the car's initial speed and the distance required to stop. The length of the car (5.75 m) is also a factor in the calculations.
envscigrl
Here it is:
A 2000-kg car traveling at 85.0 km/h crashes into a concrete wall that does not give at all. Estimate the time of the collision, assuming that the center of the car travels halfway to the wall with constant deceleration. (Use 5.75 m for the length of the car.)

I know I need to use the equations of kinematic motion to find acceleration and then find time from that. But I am so confused as to what I use for delta x in the equations. I know it somehow involves the center of mass of the car but I don't know how. I have tried solving with just the lenghth of the car as it is given (5.75) and have also tried dividing it by two and four but neither worked. How do I solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the decleration is constant then the starting speed is related to the distance required to stop by

[tex]v = \sqrt {2 a d}[/tex]

from which you can work out the acceleration since you know the initial speed and the distance.

To solve this problem, we first need to calculate the initial velocity of the car before the crash. We can use the given speed of 85.0 km/h and convert it to m/s by multiplying it by 1000/3600, which gives us an initial velocity of 23.6 m/s.

Next, we need to find the final velocity of the car at the moment of impact. Since the car crashes into a concrete wall that does not give at all, the final velocity will be 0 m/s.

Now, we can use the equation v^2 = u^2 + 2as to find the deceleration (a) of the car. We know that the initial velocity (u) is 23.6 m/s, the final velocity (v) is 0 m/s, and the distance traveled (s) is half the length of the car, which is 5.75/2 = 2.875 m. Plugging in these values, we get a = -17.1 m/s^2.

Finally, we can use the equation v = u + at to find the time (t) of the collision. Again, we know the initial velocity (u) and deceleration (a), so we can plug those in and solve for time. We get t = 23.6/17.1 = 1.38 seconds.

Therefore, the estimated time of the collision is 1.38 seconds. Keep in mind that this is an approximation and the actual time may vary slightly due to factors such as air resistance and friction.

1. What can cause a car to crash into a concrete wall?

There are many possible causes for a car to crash into a concrete wall, including distracted driving, speeding, mechanical failure, adverse weather conditions, and impaired driving.

2. How fast does a car need to be going to crash into a concrete wall?

The speed at which a car crashes into a concrete wall can vary greatly depending on the weight and size of the vehicle, as well as the angle and force of impact. However, even at lower speeds, a car can sustain significant damage when crashing into a concrete wall.

3. What injuries can occur when a car crashes into a concrete wall?

The injuries sustained in a car crash into a concrete wall can range from minor bruises and cuts to more severe injuries such as broken bones, whiplash, and traumatic brain injuries. In some cases, the impact can even be fatal.

4. How can a car crash into a concrete wall be prevented?

To prevent a car crash into a concrete wall, it is important for drivers to practice safe and defensive driving techniques, avoid distractions while behind the wheel, and maintain their vehicles in good working condition. Additionally, following traffic laws and speed limits can greatly reduce the risk of a crash.

5. What happens to a car after it crashes into a concrete wall?

When a car crashes into a concrete wall, the force of impact can cause significant damage to the vehicle. This can include everything from broken windows and shattered windshields to bent frames and twisted metal. In severe cases, the car may be completely totaled and deemed irreparable.