Q. Solving a Quadratic Recurrence Relation: Finding Coefficients a, b, and c

In summary, the problem involves finding the values of a, b, and c in a recurrence relation with a quadratic equation. The equations are provided in the book and the solution involves solving a system of three equations and three unknowns.
odolwa99

Homework Statement

Dang it! More recurrence relation problems, but this time it’s due to a quadratic equation.

Q. In the sequence u1, u2, u3,…,un,
u1 = 0, u2 = 3, u3 = 12 and un = a + bn + cn2
Find the values of a, b and c.

Homework Equations

Provided at back of book…
Answer: a = 3, b = -6, c = 3

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempt:
If n = 1 then u1 = a + b(1) + c(1)2 = 0
= a + b + c = 0
If n = 2 then u2 = a + b(2) + c(2)2 = 3
= a + 2b + 4c = 3
If n = 3 then u3 = a + b(3) + c(3)2 = 12
= a + 3b + 9c = 12

Each value of un is a multiple of 3, hence the answers (a, b and c) are also multiples of 3, so I’m guessing that I need to use some kind of ratio solution between each new quadratic to find the answer. The difficulty I’m having is that other quadratic equations I’ve solved for already had values for the coefficients, so I’m uncertain on what quadratic formula I need at this point. I probably don’t need one, but I’m definitely stuck either way.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi odolwa99! :smile:

There is no need for quadratic formula's. You have a system of three equations and three unknowns:

a + b + c = 0
a + 2b + 4c = 3
a + 3b + 9c = 12

Solve it.

Ok, thanks for the tip. I'll give it a second look.

1. What is a quadratic recurrence relation?

A quadratic recurrence relation is a mathematical equation that expresses the relationship between the terms in a sequence, where each term is a function of the previous two terms. It is called quadratic because the equation involves a quadratic term, or a term with a variable raised to the power of 2.

2. How is a quadratic recurrence relation different from a linear recurrence relation?

A linear recurrence relation involves a linear equation, where each term is a function of the previous term only. In contrast, a quadratic recurrence relation involves a quadratic equation, where each term is a function of the previous two terms. This means that the terms in a quadratic recurrence relation change at a faster rate compared to a linear recurrence relation.

3. What are some real-life applications of quadratic recurrence relations?

Quadratic recurrence relations have various real-life applications, such as in population growth models, financial forecasting, and Fibonacci sequences. They are also used in physics and engineering to model the behavior of systems that involve acceleration and motion.

4. How is a quadratic recurrence relation solved?

To solve a quadratic recurrence relation, we can use various techniques such as substitution, iteration, or solving the characteristic equation. These methods involve finding a closed-form solution, which is an expression that gives the value of any term in the sequence directly, without having to go through the previous terms.

5. What are the limitations of quadratic recurrence relations?

One of the limitations of quadratic recurrence relations is that they can only be used to model relationships between two previous terms. This means that they are not suitable for more complex sequences that involve relationships between more than two previous terms. Additionally, quadratic recurrence relations can only be used for sequences that follow a specific pattern, and they may not accurately describe real-life systems with unpredictable behavior.