Exploring the Quilted Multiverse | Big Bang & Finite Matter

• Thread starter daviec
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Multiverse
In summary: SIn summary, it is not currently possible to tell if the universe was finite or infinite when the big bang happened. All we know is the patch we call the observable universe is finite, hence can only include a finite amount of matter, energy and spacetime.
daviec
I have a question regarding the Quilted Multiverse which I am reading about in Brian Greene's latest book The Hidden Reality. As I have no formal education I hope does not make me appear stupid as I am sure there is a logical answer, its just I don't know what it is.

When talking about patterns repeating in an infinite universe then logic would dictate that eventually the patterns will repeat ie. we will eventually come across copies of ourselves and so on...

When the Big Bang happened, was this not done with a finite amount of matter - anti matter and if so then if the universe started with a finite amount of matter then how can matter exist in other cosmic horizons that are infinitely or very far away from our cosmic horizon?

Is a finite amount of matter and energy expanding from the big bang into an infinite/finite universe?

I get the bit about paterns repeating as there is only a certain number of ways we can arrange them. I just don't understand how theny can repeat if the big bang only made a finite a mount of matter/energy.

I hope this question is valid and not to have wasted anyones time.

Thanks

Davie

Space news on Phys.org
It is not possible [at present] to tell if the universe was finite or infinite when the big bang happened. All we know is the patch we call the observable universe is finite, hence can only include a finite amount of matter, energy and spacetime.

For more detail on the finite/infinite thing, we have a FAQ: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=506986

If the universe is infinite and homogeneous, then it has an infinite amount of matter. However, we wouldn't be able to verify that it was homogeneous over infinite distances.

daviec said:
When talking about patterns repeating in an infinite universe then logic would dictate that eventually the patterns will repeat ie. we will eventually come across copies of ourselves and so on...

It's a good observation - such ~near identical copies compose the assembly described by
MWI. The latest work from Bousso & Susskind proposes such insight:

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/1105/1105.3796v1.pdf

Stefan

Thank you for your question, Davie. It is understandable to have questions about complex scientific concepts, even without a formal education in the field. In order to fully understand the concept of the Quilted Multiverse, it is important to have a basic understanding of the Big Bang theory and the concept of finite matter.

The Big Bang theory states that the universe began as a singularity - a point of infinite density and temperature - and has been expanding and cooling ever since. This initial expansion, known as the inflationary period, happened at an incredibly rapid rate and is responsible for the vast size of the observable universe. It is believed that the universe started with a finite amount of matter and energy, which has been expanding and spreading out over time.

Now, when we talk about the Quilted Multiverse, we are discussing the possibility of multiple universes existing beyond our observable universe. These other universes may have different physical laws and constants, and may even have different beginnings than our own. It is important to note that the idea of the Quilted Multiverse is still a theory and has not been proven, but it is a potential explanation for the observed patterns and structures in our universe.

In terms of your question about patterns repeating in an infinite universe, it is important to understand that the universe, while incredibly vast, is not infinite. It is constantly expanding and growing, but it does have a finite amount of matter and energy. This means that while patterns may appear to repeat, they are not truly repeating, but rather occurring in different parts of the universe.

As for the existence of matter and energy in other cosmic horizons, it is believed that the initial expansion of the universe during the Big Bang created a uniform distribution of matter and energy. This means that while the matter and energy may be spread out over vast distances, they are still finite in quantity and can exist in other cosmic horizons.

In summary, the concept of the Quilted Multiverse is a complex and theoretical idea, and it is normal to have questions and seek clarification. I hope this response has helped to shed some light on the topic, and I encourage you to continue learning and exploring these fascinating ideas.

1. What is the Quilted Multiverse?

The Quilted Multiverse is a theoretical concept that suggests the existence of multiple universes existing alongside our own. These universes are thought to be connected, like patches in a quilt, and each one may have different physical laws and properties.

2. How does the Big Bang fit into the Quilted Multiverse theory?

The Big Bang is the leading explanation for the origin of our universe. In the Quilted Multiverse theory, it is believed that the Big Bang may have created not just our universe, but also other universes in the quilt. This is known as the "Big Quilted Bang."

3. Can we observe other universes in the Quilted Multiverse?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence or technology that allows us to directly observe other universes in the Quilted Multiverse. However, some scientists believe that evidence for the existence of the multiverse may be found in the cosmic microwave background radiation or in the behavior of particles in experiments like the Large Hadron Collider.

4. Is the Quilted Multiverse theory accepted by the scientific community?

The Quilted Multiverse theory is still a topic of debate and research in the scientific community. While some physicists and cosmologists support the idea, others argue that it is untestable and therefore not a valid scientific theory. More research and evidence is needed to fully understand the concept and its implications.

5. How does finite matter play a role in the Quilted Multiverse theory?

In the Quilted Multiverse theory, each universe is believed to have a finite amount of matter and energy. This means that the number of universes in the quilt is also finite, although the exact number is unknown. The distribution and arrangement of matter in each universe may also impact how they interact with each other and the overall structure of the multiverse.