Recommended Reading Material? (Nuclear Fusion)

In summary, the conversation discusses a project qualification on Nuclear Physics and the search for additional resources. The suggestion is made to start with the Wikipedia page for Fusion Power and explore related articles and references. Other online resources are also suggested, including international programs and organizations such as ITER and the World Nuclear Association.
Resolve
((Not certain this is the right place))

Hi guys,

Currently I'm voluntarily undertaking a project qualification and have decided to write a report on Nuclear Physics and how it could be used as an energy source in the future. I already know quite a bit about this topic but was wondering if you knew any books that could help me out? Not even just books but web articles, reports or even speeches on it from TED or something. Like I said, i know the topic quite well so I would prefer the materialto have a few equations relating to it but anything is fine :)

Resolve

Physics news on Phys.org
If you start on the wikipedia page for Fusion Power and work your way through many of the related articles that should give you a good grasp on the basics.

Okay, Thank You

Anyone else? For the report I'll have to write a bibliography and having one entirely consisting of Wikipedia articles won't be looked upon favourably. ^^

I presume you are familiar with the concept of looking at the reference list at the bottom of the Wiki article, and then looking at those references? The Wiki on "fusion power" for example has 45 references and a couple dozen external links - have you bothered to read any of them?

JeffKoch said:
I presume you are familiar with the concept of looking at the reference list at the bottom of the Wiki article, and then looking at those references? The Wiki on "fusion power" for example has 45 references and a couple dozen external links - have you bothered to read any of them?

Ah i see. I don't use Wikipedia much, thank you.

Astronuc said:
In addition to wikipedia one can find international programs online.

http://www.iter.org/sci/whatisfusion

http://www.ccfe.ac.uk/introduction.aspx

http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/default.aspx?id=538 [Broken]

And thank you too.:)

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is nuclear fusion and why is it important?

Nuclear fusion is a process in which two or more atomic nuclei combine to form a heavier nucleus, releasing a large amount of energy in the process. It is the same process that powers the sun and other stars, and has the potential to provide a nearly limitless source of clean energy for human use.

2. What are some recommended reading materials for learning about nuclear fusion?

Some recommended reading materials for learning about nuclear fusion include "Nuclear Fusion: Half a Century of Magnetic Confinement Fusion Research" by Richard J. Taylor and Robert J. Goldston, "The Quest: Energy, Security, and the Remaking of the Modern World" by Daniel Yergin, and "Fusion: The Energy of the Universe" by Robert Mayer.

3. Are there any online resources for learning about nuclear fusion?

Yes, there are several online resources available for learning about nuclear fusion, including the websites of major fusion research institutions such as the International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor (ITER) and the National Ignition Facility (NIF). Additionally, there are online courses and lectures available from universities and organizations such as Coursera and the American Nuclear Society.

4. How can I stay updated on the latest developments in nuclear fusion research?

To stay updated on the latest developments in nuclear fusion research, you can follow the websites and social media accounts of major fusion research institutions and organizations, as well as subscribe to scientific journals and publications such as "Nuclear Fusion" and "Fusion Science and Technology". You can also attend conferences and workshops related to nuclear fusion.

5. What are some potential challenges and obstacles in achieving successful nuclear fusion?

Some potential challenges and obstacles in achieving successful nuclear fusion include controlling and sustaining the high temperatures and pressures required for fusion reactions, finding suitable materials to contain and handle the extreme conditions, and developing efficient methods for extracting and utilizing the energy produced. Additionally, funding and political support for fusion research can also be a challenge.