Use of Design point for a gas turbine engine

In summary: Good luck!In summary, finding the design point for a turbofan engine can be difficult, but by using data from other engines and plotting it, it is possible to get a range of values that may match the desired design point.
avinod4all
In order to test the performance of a specific engine, is it necessary to find a design point? If so could anyone tell me how to find the design point for gas turbine engine and suggest any useful materials that gives good information about Design point performance.
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Generally when testing engines part of the criteria is that it should meet the design point, usually, power and heat rate at a set of specified inlet conditions. There is no reason why you couldn't test an engine just to develop a performance curve, but it's an expensive way to get something that the manufacturer should be able to provide.

Thank you!
I want to draw a design point for a turbofan engine using a carpet plot, can i draw graph to find out the design point just by using the range of BPR and FPR values?

Sorry you've lost me, what are BPR and FPR values?
Are you trying to design an engine or do you have engine data and want to analyse it?

Jobrag said:
Sorry you've lost me, what are BPR and FPR values?
Are you trying to design an engine or do you have engine data and want to analyse it?

BPR- Bypass ratio; FPR- Fan pressure ratio
I am trying to develop a model of an existing engine and later, test the outputs with the original data. So first, I am looking to find the design point of the engine.

I'm confused as to what you are trying to do. The customer will specify the design point. Normally is is something like a sea level take off under full load. Then they will request best performance on various secondary points. Then you discuss trade offs. On a commercial airline application, the customer might make the primary design point "best fuel ecconomy at cruise," which is at idle power at altitude; but then also specify what worst case take off loads are.

avinod4all said:
Thank you!
I want to draw a design point for a turbofan engine using a carpet plot, can i draw graph to find out the design point just by using the range of BPR and FPR values?
Hi there,
i don't think u can obtain the design point just by predicting/from previous data from BPR and FPR, it should be an overall pressure ratio and TET as well for example take some X, X1 and X2 engines (all three should be either be turbo jet or turbofan, better try thrust levels not being out of range) try finding the data for it like TET, BPR etc now try plotting BPR vs Engine X and overall Pressure vs Eng etc for engine X1 and X2 also, then you can get series of results where you can obtain some specific range of values, i think the values you get may be matched to the one you are saying the carpet plot(i don't know anything about caper plot).

1. What is a design point for a gas turbine engine?

A design point for a gas turbine engine is a specific operating condition at which the engine is designed to perform optimally. It is determined based on the intended use and expected conditions of the engine.

2. Why is the use of design point important for a gas turbine engine?

The use of design point is important because it ensures that the engine is operating at its most efficient and effective level, leading to optimal performance and longevity of the engine.

3. How is a design point determined for a gas turbine engine?

A design point for a gas turbine engine is typically determined through a combination of theoretical calculations, computer simulations, and physical testing. Factors such as operating conditions, fuel type, and intended use are taken into account.

4. Can the design point of a gas turbine engine be changed?

Yes, the design point of a gas turbine engine can be changed, but it requires modifications to the engine components and may affect its overall performance. It is important to carefully consider and test any changes to the design point.

5. How does the use of design point affect the efficiency of a gas turbine engine?

The use of design point has a significant impact on the efficiency of a gas turbine engine. By operating at its designated design point, the engine is able to achieve its maximum efficiency and produce the desired power output with minimal fuel consumption.