What is really meant by negative voltage?

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion and concerns surrounding the use of a dual power supply with two capacitor banks. The speaker suggests using a protector circuit to prevent damage from surge current and discusses the correct way to connect it to the negative voltage. They also provide a helpful tip to use a diode bridge rectifier with proper current rating to protect the power supply.
lyy1992
Hi, I get confused when I look at the dual power supply. I wish I can add two capacitor bank at both +ve and -ve terminals to improve its regulations.

If I connect the capacitor bank, maybe 0.1F directly to the supply line, there must be a sudden high current flow through the rectifier (surge current) and will cause damage on it. So I decided to make something like protector to protect the circuit from surge current by charging up the capacitor bank first, then reconnect it to the supply line.

But when I saw the negative supply, I get confused. How to connect the protector circuit to the negative voltage?

Well, I think is like 2 batteries connected in series. Then I assumed that the center ground as the positive terminal of the lower part of the battery. If so, I can just copy the upper circuit of positive supply to the negative supply, isn't it? Can someone please check whether I connected the circuit correctly? Is the concept correct? Thanks.

[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34919012/Untitled.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, your concept is correct and your circuit diagram looks good. You can use a diode bridge rectifier to protect the dual power supply from any surge current. This diode bridge will allow the capacitor bank to charge up gradually and then reconnect it to the supply line. Make sure to use a proper current rating for the diodes in the bridge rectifier to prevent any damage due to overcurrent.

1. What is negative voltage?

Negative voltage refers to the potential difference between two points in a circuit where the current flows in the opposite direction to conventional current flow. It is represented by a negative sign (-) in voltage measurements and is typically measured in volts (V).

2. How is negative voltage different from positive voltage?

Positive voltage refers to the potential difference between two points in a circuit where the current flows in the conventional direction. In contrast, negative voltage indicates that the current is flowing in the opposite direction. This means that the polarity of the voltage is reversed and can have different effects on electronic components in a circuit.

3. Why is negative voltage important in electronic circuits?

Negative voltage is important in electronic circuits because it allows for the creation of more complex and efficient designs. It can be used to power certain components, such as transistors and diodes, and also plays a crucial role in signal processing and amplification. In some cases, negative voltage is necessary for proper functioning of a circuit.

4. How is negative voltage generated?

Negative voltage can be generated in various ways, depending on the specific circuit and application. It can be produced by using a power supply with a negative output, using voltage regulators or inverters, or by using certain electronic components, such as capacitors or transformers, in specific configurations.

5. What are some practical uses of negative voltage?

Negative voltage has many practical uses in electronic circuits, such as in audio amplifiers, signal processing circuits, and power supplies. It is also commonly used in devices that require both positive and negative voltages, such as operational amplifiers. In addition, negative voltage can be used to control the direction of current flow in transistors and diodes, allowing for more complex circuit designs.