MOSFET Push Pull Common Drain

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with calculating minimum and maximum values for a circuit involving transistors. The participants also discuss the definition of a constant and the interpretation of a statement in the problem. They also ask for help in solving question 1 of the assignment.
spikestar
Hi everyone,

I have this following problem (uploaded it in the pdf). I have made an attempt at solving it, but now i am just stuck.

I have done question one, and have confirmed my answers in PSpice.

my Id = 16uA, Vgs = 1.4V and Vds = 4.6V ( 3 + 8/5)
and for p-channel the values are just opposite.

My problem is that i am stuck on question 2 where i have to calculate Vout min, Vout max, Vin min, Vin max. I thought that Vout max is Vdd - Vod, but i seem to be wrong.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Kind Regards
spikestar

Attachments

• EEET2097Ass_22011.pdf
    193.4 KB · Views: 483
Physics news on Phys.org
How is the constant k_n defined Spikestar. There are two common definitions.

Is it I_d = 0.75 (Vgs-Vt)^2 or is it I_d = 0.75/2 (Vgs-Vt)^2 for the (approx) active region equation?Re the maximum voltage. Where it says "Calculate the max output voltage assuming both transistors stay in the active region", I would read that as find the input/output voltage at the point where either the pmos goes into cutoff or the nmos into triode, whichever is lower (for the positive voltage excursion). Start by finding where the pmos goes into cutoff as that's the easier of the two cases to solve.

Last edited:
Thinking about this a little more I find the statement "assuming both transistors stay in the active region" to be a little troubling. Taking this literally then what I suggested above is correct. However the intention might have been simply that each driving transistor remain in the active region. In other words, that the n-ch device stays in the active region during +ive excursions and that the p-ch device stay in the active region during -ive excursions.

Edit: No I think the first (literal) interpretation was correct as the circuit is approx linear if both mosfets stay in the active region at all times. I'm more used to BJT "push pull" stages where the non-driving device definitely goes into cut-off, but after considering the mosfet push-pull stage in a bit more detail I see that it does work much better if both devices stay active over the full cycle.

Skipestar. Can you workout the maximum Vi-Vo differential (for +ive Vi) before the p-ch device goes into cut off?

Last edited:
Hi spikestar,

I'am doing the same assignment as your question, but i don't know how to do question 1, can anyone show me how to do question 1?

Thank for help.

Hello spikestar,

The MOSFET push-pull common drain circuit is a type of amplifier circuit commonly used in audio applications. It consists of two MOSFET transistors, one p-channel and one n-channel, connected in a push-pull configuration. This allows for high output power and low distortion.

In regards to your problem, it seems like you have made a good attempt at solving it. However, there are a few things to keep in mind when calculating the values for Vout min, Vout max, Vin min, and Vin max.

First, Vout min and Vout max refer to the minimum and maximum output voltages, respectively. These values can be calculated using the equation Vout = Vdd - (Vod + Vds), where Vdd is the supply voltage, Vod is the overdrive voltage (the difference between Vgs and the threshold voltage), and Vds is the voltage drop across the drain-source junction of the MOSFET.

Second, Vin min and Vin max refer to the minimum and maximum input voltages, respectively. These values can be calculated using the equation Vin = Vgs + Vth, where Vgs is the gate-source voltage and Vth is the threshold voltage.

It is important to note that the values of Vout min, Vout max, Vin min, and Vin max will vary depending on the specific characteristics of the MOSFET transistors used in the circuit. Therefore, it is important to use the correct values for Vod and Vth in your calculations.

I hope this helps and good luck with your problem-solving!

1. What is a MOSFET Push Pull Common Drain?

A MOSFET (Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor Field-Effect Transistor) Push Pull Common Drain is a type of electronic circuit configuration used for amplification and signal processing. It consists of two MOSFET transistors connected in a push-pull arrangement, with a common drain or output terminal.

2. How does a MOSFET Push Pull Common Drain work?

In a MOSFET Push Pull Common Drain circuit, one MOSFET acts as the pull-up switch and the other as the pull-down switch. When one MOSFET is turned on, it allows current to flow from the power supply to the output. When the other MOSFET is turned on, it pulls the output to ground, completing the circuit. This push-pull action allows for efficient amplification and switching of signals.

3. What are the advantages of a MOSFET Push Pull Common Drain?

One of the main advantages of a MOSFET Push Pull Common Drain is its high efficiency. Since the two MOSFETs work together to amplify the signal, there is minimal power loss. Additionally, it has a high input impedance, which means it can handle a wide range of input signals without distortion.

4. What are the applications of a MOSFET Push Pull Common Drain?

MOSFET Push Pull Common Drain circuits are commonly used in audio amplifiers, power supplies, and motor control circuits. They are also used in high-frequency applications, such as radio frequency amplifiers and switching circuits.

5. What are the differences between a MOSFET Push Pull Common Drain and a MOSFET Push Pull Common Source?

The main difference between these two configurations is the location of the output signal. In a MOSFET Push Pull Common Drain, the output is taken from the drain terminal, while in a MOSFET Push Pull Common Source, the output is taken from the source terminal. Additionally, a MOSFET Push Pull Common Drain has higher output impedance, which can be beneficial in certain applications.