The Raisin Bread Analogy Question

• Thread starter Julius Caesar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analogy
In summary, the raisin bread analogy fails when you observe it from outside the dough, it is only good so long as you are inside the dough. The only way you can tell the dough is expanding is by watching the raisins.
Hmm, is it that gravity holds things together AGAINST expansion, or is it that once enough mass is in a volume of space the gravity simply causes expansion NOT to occur at all?

Space news on Phys.org
Yes we know the inflation factor is much weaker than any other attraction even gravity and therefore, despite a small effect gravity holds systems more or less in Newtonian motion. What I struggle to conceptualize is how this spacial/distance inflation plays out as you move from intergalactic to interstellar and so on down to quantum scales.
I have read some work that attempts to rationalize continuity and discreteness at smaller scales by working with differentiable 'non-continuous' objects (but my understanding of this and the math is weak).
Despite the divergence of the math with everyday experience I think it still important that things should be reasonably explainable in terms of more familiar concepts.
Even though a 4th (or more) spatial dimension is unimaginable it is sort of conceptualisable with some practice and dumping preconceived notions, so is infinity etc. But at the end of the day, all this heavy physics has to explain what we see, perceive and expect at the human scale.
But the inflation of space where every 'observer' sees themselves as the centre, sort of 4th dimensional expansion - surface of hypershere etc, may not be what's happening at smaller scales.
Or as you say 'drakkith' does the interaction of matter/gravity with space change things. So if particles are introduced into space then the normal forces would resist a spatial inflation that is happening around them, or their presence negates the inflation. But if that's the case then it seems to me this variable inflation around matter would create a discontinuity/tension in space? I feel I'm barking up the wrong tree here and that's why I could do with a model. Help!

<h2>1. What is the Raisin Bread Analogy Question?</h2><p>The Raisin Bread Analogy Question is a thought experiment used to explain the concept of the expanding universe. It compares the expansion of the universe to the rising of raisins in a loaf of bread as the dough expands.</p><h2>2. How does the Raisin Bread Analogy relate to the expanding universe?</h2><p>The Raisin Bread Analogy helps us understand that as the universe expands, galaxies and other objects within it are moving away from each other, similar to how raisins in a loaf of bread move away from each other as the dough rises.</p><h2>3. Is the Raisin Bread Analogy an accurate representation of the expanding universe?</h2><p>While the Raisin Bread Analogy is a helpful visualization, it is not a perfect representation of the expanding universe. In reality, the expansion of the universe is happening in all directions, not just outward like the rising of dough.</p><h2>4. What does the Raisin Bread Analogy tell us about the fate of the universe?</h2><p>The Raisin Bread Analogy can also be used to explain the possible fates of the universe. If the expansion of the universe continues to accelerate, it is said to have a "big rip" ending, where all matter will be torn apart. If the expansion slows down, the universe could eventually collapse in a "big crunch." </p><h2>5. Can the Raisin Bread Analogy be applied to other scientific concepts?</h2><p>Yes, the Raisin Bread Analogy can be used to explain other concepts such as the movement of tectonic plates on Earth or the expansion of the solar system. It is a useful tool for visualizing and understanding processes that involve expansion or movement.</p>

1. What is the Raisin Bread Analogy Question?

The Raisin Bread Analogy Question is a thought experiment used to explain the concept of the expanding universe. It compares the expansion of the universe to the rising of raisins in a loaf of bread as the dough expands.

2. How does the Raisin Bread Analogy relate to the expanding universe?

The Raisin Bread Analogy helps us understand that as the universe expands, galaxies and other objects within it are moving away from each other, similar to how raisins in a loaf of bread move away from each other as the dough rises.

3. Is the Raisin Bread Analogy an accurate representation of the expanding universe?

While the Raisin Bread Analogy is a helpful visualization, it is not a perfect representation of the expanding universe. In reality, the expansion of the universe is happening in all directions, not just outward like the rising of dough.

4. What does the Raisin Bread Analogy tell us about the fate of the universe?

The Raisin Bread Analogy can also be used to explain the possible fates of the universe. If the expansion of the universe continues to accelerate, it is said to have a "big rip" ending, where all matter will be torn apart. If the expansion slows down, the universe could eventually collapse in a "big crunch."

5. Can the Raisin Bread Analogy be applied to other scientific concepts?

Yes, the Raisin Bread Analogy can be used to explain other concepts such as the movement of tectonic plates on Earth or the expansion of the solar system. It is a useful tool for visualizing and understanding processes that involve expansion or movement.