Exploring the Origin of our Universe

In summary: It is not an explosion in static 3D Euclidian space because that would make it difficult, if not impossible, to have homogeneous and isotropic expansion. The name "Big Bang" was coined by Fred Hoyle, who was originally opposed to the idea. However, the term has become increasingly used to refer to two different things - the event at t=0 that is speculative and not well understood, and what happened after t=0 that is well-supported by observations.
Imax
The origin of our Universe (i.e. the Big Bang) is often considered as an explosion in static 3D Euclidian space:

http://youtu.be/R2Zi_z4n4c0

I think the Big Bang is somewhat of a misnomer. It’s not an explosion in static 3D Euclidian space. If this was the case, then it would difficult, if not impossible, to have homogeneous and isotropic expansion.

Space news on Phys.org

Imax said:
The origin of our Universe (i.e. the Big Bang) is often considered as an explosion in static 3D Euclidian space

And that view is incorrect.

I think the Big Bang is somewhat of a misnomer.

The name Big Bang came from Fred Hoyle who was one of the leading opponents of the idea, but it sort of stuck.

One thing that I've found is that increasingly people are using it to mean two different things. The event at t=0 about which we have no information about and which is speculative, and what happened after t=0, of which we have a lot of information about and which is on very firm observational foundations.

Imax said:
The origin of our Universe (i.e. the Big Bang) is often considered as an explosion in static 3D Euclidian space:

http://youtu.be/R2Zi_z4n4c0

I think the Big Bang is somewhat of a misnomer. It’s not an explosion in static 3D Euclidian space. If this was the case, then it would difficult, if not impossible, to have homogeneous and isotropic expansion.

The Big Bang is not that.

1. What is the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory is the prevailing scientific explanation for the origin of our universe. It proposes that the universe began as a singularity, a point of infinite density and temperature, and has been expanding and cooling ever since.

2. How old is the universe?

The age of the universe is estimated to be around 13.8 billion years. This is based on observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation, the oldest light in the universe, and the rate of expansion of the universe.

3. What evidence supports the Big Bang theory?

There are several lines of evidence that support the Big Bang theory, including the observed expansion of the universe, the abundance of light elements such as hydrogen and helium, and the cosmic microwave background radiation. Additionally, the theory accurately predicts the observed distribution of galaxies in the universe.

4. What happened before the Big Bang?

This question is still a subject of debate and research in the scientific community. The Big Bang theory does not explain what happened before the singularity, as our current understanding of physics breaks down at this point. Some theories propose the existence of a multiverse or a cyclical universe, but further research is needed to confirm these ideas.

5. How does the study of the universe's origins impact our understanding of life on Earth?

Studying the origin of the universe can provide insights into the fundamental laws and principles that govern the universe. This understanding can help us make sense of the conditions that allowed life to evolve on Earth and potentially guide our search for life elsewhere in the universe. It also helps us appreciate the vastness and complexity of our universe and our place within it.