Do nebula's move? (Help calculating where things will be in the future)?

• Thread starter piareround
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Future
In summary, nebulae are constantly moving and evolving, but their movements are not as perceptible as those of planets or stars. Their motion is affected by various factors, such as gravity and the expansion of the universe. Calculating the future location of a nebula can be difficult due to these factors and the vast distances involved. However, astronomers and scientists use advanced technology and mathematical models to make predictions and track the movements of nebulae.
piareround
Hey guys I been trying to figure out the location of various objects from a galatic perspective using celestia.

One particular object that has been of help to me is the Horsehead Nebula.

While doing this, I quickly realized that star's move, so a galactic map (if you could make one large enough) of all the major stars would be inaccurate in something like 500,000 years.

However, this thought experiment has got me wondering. If star's move and drift around the galaxy with a set total velocity, do nebula's and gas clouds also have measurable velocities? A velocity besides their constant expansion?

If they do move, how could one figure out the new Declination, Right Ascension, or any of the angular/distance coordinates of a nebula 100,000 sidereal years or some long time in the future?

Is it a simple kinetmatics or dynamics problem using proper motion? Are there any tutorials that would help?

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
piareround said:
Hey guys I been trying to figure out the location of various objects from a galatic perspective using celestia.

One particular object that has been of help to me is the Horsehead Nebula?

While doing this, I quickly realized is that star's move, so a galactic map (supposing you could make one) of all the nearby stars would change in something like 500,000 years. However, this has got me wondering. If star's move and drift around the galaxy with a set total velocity, do nebula's and cloud also have velocities that are measurable? By move I mean something else besides constantly explanding.

If they do move, how could one figure out the new Declination, Right Ascension, or any of the angular/distance coordinates of a nebula 100,000 sidereal years or some long time in the future?

Is it a simple kinetmatics or dynamics problem using proper motion? Are there any tutorials that would help?

Ok seriously this might sound too easy to you guys. Nonetheless, every time I try too look up and search for the proper motion of a major nebula like the crab, horsehead, or even the hourglass nebula, I come up empty handed.

There's no doubt that they move -- supernova remnants will have some trace of the original star's proper motion, for example. The problem is that nebulae all lie at large distances (the Gum Nebula, one of the nearest, is about 700 parsecs off), and they are all, well, nebulous. That makes any proper motion exceeding small while at the same time making it difficult to define a center of mass.

Note, however, that nebulae can be observed to change in time. See http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/releases/1996/22/video/a/ for example.

Cool thanks for the insight obafgkmrns

piareround said:
While doing this, I quickly realized that star's move, so a galactic map (if you could make one large enough) of all the major stars would be inaccurate in something like 500,000 years.

isn't our solar system orbiting around the galaxy in unison with all the other stars and nebula?
resulting in the position of stars relative to Earth at the same distance constantly

shifty88 said:
isn't our solar system orbiting around the galaxy in unison with all the other stars and nebula?
resulting in the position of stars relative to Earth at the same distance constantly

I wouldn't say in unison. They all move relative to one another, but there are other effects besides galactic orbit that affect their movement. Most importantly would be gravity. Eventually all matter converges under gravity (barring inflation). So while the stars (and the nebulae) orbit the galaxy, they are also being drawn into the center and attracted to each other.

@ the OP,

Mass is mass. If you know the mass of the nebulae, you can calculate the same as you would for any other celestial body.

piareround said:
Ok seriously this might sound too easy to you guys. Nonetheless, every time I try too look up and search for the proper motion of a major nebula like the crab, horsehead, or even the hourglass nebula, I come up empty handed.
When I first read this, I thought you meant "look up" in the sky to see the motion!:tongue:

1. Do all nebulae move?

Yes, all nebulae move. Like all celestial objects, they are in a constant state of motion due to the forces of gravity and other factors.

2. What causes nebulae to move?

Nebulae move due to the gravitational pull of nearby objects, such as stars or other nebulae. They can also be affected by other factors such as the rotation of the galaxy and collisions with other objects.

3. How do scientists calculate the future position of a nebula?

Scientists use mathematical models and computer simulations to calculate the future position of a nebula. This involves taking into account the current velocity and trajectory of the nebula, as well as the gravitational forces acting upon it.

4. Can scientists accurately predict where a nebula will be in the future?

While scientists can make fairly accurate predictions based on their calculations, it is not possible to predict the exact future position of a nebula with 100% accuracy. This is due to the complex and constantly changing nature of the universe.

5. Are there any tools or techniques used to track the movement of nebulae?

Yes, astronomers use telescopes, both ground-based and space-based, to track and observe the movement of nebulae. They also use spectroscopy to analyze the light emitted by nebulae, which can provide information about their velocity and direction of movement.