BS Applied Math+CS Minor+MFE vs. BS Applied Math+PhD Applied Math

In summary: Plus, I could always use the extra credits in my major.In summary, both options have their pros and cons, but if you focus on doing well in your courses and then make a decision, it can't hurt to declare a minor.
hatelove
I'm still debating my paths of

1) a B. S. in Applied Mathematics with a minor in something computer related (heavily programming-focused, but I don't think I can take something like software engineering as a minor and I don't think I can handle a double major of mathematics and engineering simultaneously) and a Master's in Financial Engineering

in comparison to

2) a B. S. in Applied Mathematics and then going on to a PhD in Applied Mathematics as well, and I'm not sure minors are too relevant when going down this long road.

If I have any misconceptions, please correct them so I can more feasibly choose my direction (or make it even more difficult), or feel free to add to the list:

1)
Pros:
a) Compressing all 3 of my required fields: math, programming, and finance
b) Getting my foot in the career door more quickly

Cons:
a) Limited opportunities (say if I want to perform research on statistical arbitrage algorithms for black-box trading, I don't think I can without the credentials of a PhD)
b) Possibly lower salary potential

2)
Pros:
a) Higher earning potential
b) The programming/finance related education nor experience isn't there, but having a PhD may tell employers that I have the drive and dedication to learn these subjects rather quickly; plus I'll probably be doing plenty of programming not only in my free time, but as I'm working on my PhD in mathematics as well, and maybe working with computational mathematicians too
c) Title of Dr. (as lame and vain as this may sound, I think this has a social advantage just by having the title of "Dr." in that you may be able to win over the favor/respect of others)

Cons:
a) Takes much longer
b) No programming/finance education/experience

I'm unsure of what I want past my education and initial job, but I have vague visions of starting my own company and seeing how far I can go. Again I'm not certain of this yet, but if I do then it'd be nice to have a larger start up capital and I don't know if one of these paths will suit/prepare me better for this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Both options look somewhat similar, at least, as far as undergraduate study is concerned they do. Why not just focus on doing well on your courses and then make a decision? You can plan all you want beforehand but that's not too useful because it could so happen that when you actually start doing some programming, you end up hating it. Or something like that. More doing, less thinking.

I guess it can't hurt declaring a minor either way...I'm just going to do it.

I already have about 10 years of personal programming experience, but no projects to show for it (I don't want to disclose the stuff I worked on) so once I start legitimate projects later on I think I'd do well.

1. What is the difference between a BS Applied Math with a CS Minor and MFE, versus a BS Applied Math with a PhD in Applied Math?

The main difference between these two options is the level of education and specialization. A BS Applied Math with a CS Minor and MFE focuses on the application of mathematical concepts and computer science principles in the financial industry. On the other hand, a BS Applied Math with a PhD in Applied Math is a more advanced and specialized degree that prepares students for a career in research and academia.

2. Which option is better for a career in finance?

Both options can lead to a successful career in finance, but it ultimately depends on an individual's specific career goals and interests. A BS Applied Math with a CS Minor and MFE may be more suitable for those interested in the practical application of math and computer science in the financial industry, while a BS Applied Math with a PhD in Applied Math may be better suited for those interested in research and developing new mathematical models for finance.

3. Is one option more challenging than the other?

Both options are challenging in their own ways. A BS Applied Math with a CS Minor and MFE requires a strong foundation in math and computer science, as well as an understanding of finance and economics. A PhD in Applied Math requires a significant amount of research and coursework, as well as a strong aptitude for math and problem-solving.

4. What are the potential job opportunities for each option?

A BS Applied Math with a CS Minor and MFE can lead to job opportunities in financial institutions, such as banks, investment firms, and insurance companies. Graduates may work as financial analysts, risk managers, or quantitative analysts. A BS Applied Math with a PhD in Applied Math can lead to careers in research and academia, as well as opportunities in industries such as finance, technology, and government.

5. Can I pursue a PhD after completing a BS Applied Math with a CS Minor and MFE?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a PhD in Applied Math after completing a BS Applied Math with a CS Minor and MFE. However, it is important to note that a PhD program may have specific requirements and may require additional coursework or research experience. It is best to research and plan ahead if pursuing a PhD after completing a BS degree.