How can I prevent my soldering iron from turning black and smoking?

In summary: It is the opinion of the author that a cheap soldering iron is not going to last very long and will be annoying to use. 3] It is also the opinion of the author that if you are serious about soldering, you should get a good iron. 4] A Weller is a good choice for someone who is serious about soldering, as they are affordable and will last a long time. 5] If you are looking for a less expensive iron, a double outlet box with a lamp dimmer in one side and an outlet in other side makes a handy variable voltage for the less expensive irons.
Kieranlavelle
Hi guys, I bought a soldering iron the other day and I was doing some soldering for quite a while (It was one maybe 10-15 mins) and then the metal before the tip started to turn black and smoke was coming out of it, Is there anyway to prevent this as let's face it, it's a lot less than ideal.
The soldering iron I bought can be seen here:

Click me

please could you guys recommend a relatively good yet affordable one I could buy which would not do this.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Get some paste flux and dress the tip with that before and during use. It makes a difference. It's kind of old-school, but flux is very important if you are soldering/unsoldering heavy joints. If you are going to do lots of lighter stuff, it's time to consider buying a Weller (or equivalent) with a rheostat to control the temperature.

http://www.tequipment.net/WellerWLC200.html

Last edited:
the flux in solder turns black. Keep a wet sponge or cotton rag nearby and wipe the tip often.

A new iron might smell for a while until the oils from mmanufacture are gone.

Iron itself starts to blue around 600F i think.

a cheap soldering iron is annoying. if you plan on a lot of work get a good one.

jim hardy said:
Keep a wet sponge or cotton rag nearby and wipe the tip often.
Yep. Also, fluxing and tinning a new tip will make it last much longer and transfer heat much faster (which helps minimize component damage due to excessive heat).

I'll put in a third recommendation for a Weller here. Being thermostatically controlled you can use a fairly beefy one (50 or 60W) perfectly well for electronics work with a small tip bit, and if you need to solder some 100 amp connecting wires it will handle that as well.

can you leave it one for a while without it turning black near the tip?

Sure. I once left accidentally left mine switched on for 2 weeks when I went on vacation, and nothing bad happened to it.

Weller aren't the cheapest irons available, but if you are seriously interested in electronics they are the sort of tool that you only buy once in your life and then just use it for the next 40 or 50 years. And its MUCH easier and quicker to do good work with them than with a cheap iron where you are constantly having to clean and tin the bit.

AlephZero said:
... I once left accidentally left mine switched on for 2 weeks when I went on vacation...
:bugeye: :eek: :bugeye: :eek: :bugeye: :eek: :bugeye: :eek: :bugeye: :eek:

DaveC426913 said:
^^^^^!

Though if you buy a half-decent Weller station (not even high-end), that's a whole lot safer than leaving a cheap Radio-Shack iron plugged in all that time. You might not even burn your house down.

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:

Aside from the minor waste of energy, it was no more dangerous than leaving the freezer switched on IMO.

They are the sort of irons that are left switched on for 8 hours every day of the week, in professional use - that's what they are designed for.

AlephZero said:
Aside from the minor waste of energy, it was no more dangerous than leaving the freezer switched on IMO.

They are the sort of irons that are left switched on for 8 hours every day of the week, in professional use - that's what they are designed for.
Those are the well-designed Wellers (or equivalent), not the cheap pencil-irons. There really is a difference.

a double outlet box with a lamp dimmer in one side and an outlet in other side makes a handy variable voltage for the less expensive irons.
Split the hot side of outlet, one half full voltage for your work lamp and other half variable for your iron.
Mount creatively on a board and you have a "Poor Man's High Class Soldering Station"...
Maybe even add a magnifying glass on flex-gooseneck from a thrift-store lamp.

But get a good iron. I like the Weller with replaceable tips or the one with screw-in elements equally well. One can accumulate an assortment of elements.

Indeed that fifty watt monster is REAL handy for automotive work.

AlephZero said:

Nooo.

1] A freezer left on has been set there with due consideration to being left unsupervised and safely operating in the absence of supervision (operate continuously with supervision what they're designed to do). A soldering iron accidentally left out and on is, by definition, not being properly supervised.
2] A freezer is designed so that all harmful parts are protected from exposure. A freezer will only be dangerous if it is somehow actually faulty.
3] A soldering iron heats and melts things (That's what they're designed to do, and they're not designed to do it unsupervised).
4] Finally, a soldering iron in daily use for 8 hours is under proper supervision.

Last edited:
All soldering tips turn black at the tip if they are burning a lot of flux, usually one can simply wipe it off with a wet sponge. Always try to keep a drop of tin at the tip. It is said that soldering irons turn bad faster if the raw tip is exposed. I hate Weller, even though everybody seem to love them. I find them clunky and ugly, but I don't know what other brands you can get in the states.

I like Wellers. They are sturdy and simple. I have used mine to repair electronics with small leads, to rebuild tube-driven guitar amps, and to solder heavier stuff in home wiring projects. They might not be as sleek-looking as other soldering-stations, but they are functional and handy. I have a base-level Weller station. It features a rheostat to control tip temperature, a handy wire coil in which to store the iron (so you don't burn your house down) and a well under the coil with a sponge that you can use for tip-cleaning.

1. What is a soldering iron and how does it work?

A soldering iron is a tool used to melt and join metal components together. It works by heating up a metal tip, typically made of copper, to a high temperature which allows it to melt solder. The melted solder is then used to create a bond between the metal components.

2. How do I select the right soldering iron for my project?

The right soldering iron for your project will depend on the type of metal you are working with and the size of the components. A general rule of thumb is to choose a soldering iron with a wattage of at least 40-50 watts for small projects and 80-100 watts for larger projects. Additionally, consider the type of tip, temperature control, and brand reputation when selecting a soldering iron.

3. What are the safety precautions I should take when using a soldering iron?

Safety should always be a top priority when using a soldering iron. Always wear protective gear such as safety goggles and heat-resistant gloves. Make sure to work in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling harmful fumes. And always unplug the soldering iron when not in use and never leave it unattended.

4. How do I clean and maintain my soldering iron?

To keep your soldering iron in good working condition, it is important to regularly clean and maintain it. After each use, wipe the tip of the soldering iron with a damp sponge to remove any excess solder or debris. You can also use a commercial tip cleaner or a mixture of baking soda and water to clean the tip. Additionally, make sure to replace the tip when it becomes worn or damaged.

5. Is there a correct way to hold a soldering iron?

Yes, there is a correct way to hold a soldering iron to ensure safety and precision. The correct way is to hold the iron like a pen, with your index finger resting on the top of the handle and your thumb supporting the side. This grip allows for better control and reduces the risk of burns.