Adding intensities for incoherent waves

In summary, for coherent waves, the intensity is the sum of the square of the amplitudes. However, for incoherent waves, the intensity is the sum of the individual intensities without any interference term. This can be mathematically shown by considering the average value of the cross term, which cancels out if the phases are random.
fliptomato
Greetings all--I have a relatively basic question regarding waves:

For coherent waves, the amplitude of the two waves add ([tex]\psi(x) + \phi(x) [/tex]) and the resulting intensity is the square of this: [tex](\psi(x)+\phi(x))^2[/tex], or [tex]\psi(x)^2 +2\psi(x)\phi(x)+\phi(x)^2[/tex]

However, if youre superimposing incoherent waves, then textbooks tell me that you add intensities , i.e. the resulting intensity is [tex]\psi(x)^2 +\phi(x)^2[/tex] ... i.e. there's no interference term.

Why is this? It seems a little hokey just to say that the average observed intensity becomes the average of the two component intensities without any motivation for this. I.e. is there a way to show this (mathematically) from the addition of amplitudes?

Thus, if I have waves [tex]\psi(r(t)\cdot x)[/tex] and [tex]\phi(s(t)\cdot x)[/tex] where [tex]r(t)[/tex] and [tex]s(t)[/tex] are time-dependent "random" functions that average to zero. When I add these waves, the result is that the term [tex]2\psi(r(t)\cdot x)\phi(r(t)\cdot x)[/tex] averages to zero.

References:
Tipler, Paul. Physics for Scientists and Engineers, 4th ed. p. 487
Aitchison and Hey. Gauge theories in Particle Physics, Vol I, 3rd ed. P. 212 (middle paragraph)

((In case you were curious about the odd second reference, I originally was startled by this because I was trying to understand the "spin averaging" in the amplitude for spin-dependent scattering in, say, QED.))

Physics news on Phys.org
fliptomato said:
Why is this? It seems a little hokey just to say that the average observed intensity becomes the average of the two component intensities without any motivation for this. I.e. is there a way to show this (mathematically) from the addition of amplitudes?
Sure. Try this: Let [itex]\psi = A cos\theta_1[/itex] and [itex]\phi = B cos\theta_2[/itex]. Then:
[tex]I \propto (\psi + \phi)^2 = (A cos\theta_1 + B cos\theta_2)^2[/tex]
[tex]I \propto A^2 cos^2\theta_1 + B^2 cos^2\theta_2 + 2AB cos\theta_1 cos\theta_2[/tex]

The average value of [itex]cos^2[/itex] is 1/2; using a bit of trig, you should be able to convince yourself that the cross term averages to zero if the phases are random. Thus:
[tex]I \propto A^2/2 + B^2/2[/tex]
[tex]I_{total} = I_1 + I_2[/tex]

Hello,

Thank you for your question. The reason for this difference in adding intensities for coherent and incoherent waves lies in the nature of the waves themselves.

Coherent waves have a fixed phase relationship between them, meaning that their crests and troughs align perfectly. This results in constructive and destructive interference, which can be seen in the equation you provided. When adding the amplitudes of two coherent waves, the interference term (2\psi(x)\phi(x)) takes into account this phase relationship and leads to the squared amplitude.

In contrast, incoherent waves have varying phase relationships, as they come from different sources or are scattered in different directions. This means that the interference term will average out to zero, as you correctly pointed out. This is because the waves are not consistently aligned and therefore do not lead to constructive or destructive interference. As a result, the squared amplitudes of the two waves are simply added without any interference term.

Mathematically, this can be shown by considering the average of the product of two incoherent waves:

<\psi(x)\phi(x)> = \int \psi(x)\phi(x) dx

Since the phase relationship between the two waves is random and averages to zero, the average of the product will also be zero. This is why the interference term disappears when adding intensities for incoherent waves.

I hope this helps to clarify the concept. Thank you for providing the references, as they offer additional explanations for this topic. Best of luck with your studies.

1. How do you calculate the intensity of incoherent waves?

The intensity of incoherent waves is calculated by adding the intensities of each individual wave. The formula for adding intensities is I = I1 + I2 + ... + In, where I represents intensity and n represents the number of waves.

2. Can the intensity of incoherent waves ever be negative?

No, the intensity of incoherent waves cannot be negative. Intensity is a measure of the amount of energy that passes through a certain area in a given time, and energy cannot have a negative value.

3. How does the addition of intensities affect the amplitude of incoherent waves?

The addition of intensities does not affect the amplitude of incoherent waves. The amplitude of a wave is a measure of its maximum displacement from its rest position, and it is not affected by the number of waves present or their individual intensities.

4. What is the relationship between the intensity and frequency of incoherent waves?

There is no direct relationship between the intensity and frequency of incoherent waves. Intensity is determined by the amplitude of the wave, while frequency is determined by the number of wave cycles per second. However, a higher frequency wave may have a higher intensity if it has a larger amplitude.

5. How does the addition of intensities for incoherent waves differ from the addition of intensities for coherent waves?

The addition of intensities for incoherent waves involves simply adding the individual intensities together. However, for coherent waves, the addition of intensities also takes into account the phase difference between the waves. This means that the resulting intensity could be less than the sum of the individual intensities, depending on the phase difference.