Exploring the Link between \theta and Trig Functions

In summary, the use of Taylor expansions in computing trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent based on the argument theta (in radians) is well known. However, aside from these expansions, there is also a direct link between the argument and the output of the function, as seen in the trigonometric ratios such as cosine being equal to the ratio of adjacent to hypotenuse. These values were originally calculated by hand and recorded in tables by mathematicians such as Ptolemy and the Indian mathematicians. While the Maclaurin series manipulates the argument to find a solution, it is also possible to use algebraic manipulation of the argument to find the value of the trigonometric function, as seen in
brendan_foo
I believe that calculators use Taylor expansions to compute sines, cosines and tan's based upon the argument [itex]\theta[/itex] (in radians of course). However, my question is, aside from these expansions, is there some sort of link between [itex]\theta[/itex] and the output of the function itself.

I mean I know that [itex] \cos{\theta} = \frac {adj}{hyp}[/itex] and the other trig ratios, but was this just worked out by hand, pencil and paper and kept in a tabular form before the Taylor expansion was devised? Is there a direct link between [itex] (\frac{adj}{hyp}) [/itex] and [itex]\theta[/itex].

Get me?!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Trig values were, yes, worked out by hand (:yuck:)

One of Ptolemy's major contributions to Greek maths was his trig tables.
The Indian mathematicians did the same, but independently of the Greeks.

EDIT:
Hmm..now that I reread your question, it seems you were after something else..

No that's a great answer.. just curious. I know the Maclaurin series for trig functions takes the parameter and manipulates it to get a solution. However I wanted to know if there was some other relation between the argument and the answer. Say I had the angle [itex]\frac{\pi}{9}[/itex] and I wanted to know the cosine of it, that is the ratio of the adjacent to the hypotenuse, then was there some algebraic manipulation you could do with the value [itex]\frac{\pi}{9}[/itex] to yield the solution.

Aside from doing it by hand, I was curious whether it could be done another way before the days of calculus.

1. What is the connection between theta and trigonometric functions?

The symbol theta (θ) is commonly used in mathematics to represent an angle. Trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, are mathematical functions that relate the angles and sides of a right triangle. Therefore, theta is the input for trigonometric functions, and they output values that are used to calculate the lengths of the sides of a triangle.

2. How are trigonometric functions used to find the value of theta?

Trigonometric functions can be used to find the value of theta by using the known ratios of the sides of a right triangle. For example, if the opposite and adjacent sides are known, the tangent function can be used to calculate the value of theta. Similarly, the sine and cosine functions can be used when the opposite and hypotenuse or adjacent and hypotenuse sides are known, respectively.

3. What are the main trigonometric functions?

The main trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions are commonly used to calculate the values of angles and sides in a right triangle. Other important trigonometric functions include cosecant, secant, and cotangent, which are the reciprocals of sine, cosine, and tangent, respectively.

4. Can trigonometric functions be used to solve non-right triangles?

Yes, trigonometric functions can also be used to solve non-right triangles, also known as oblique triangles. In this case, the Law of Sines and Law of Cosines are used to relate the angles and sides of the triangle and find their values. These laws involve the use of trigonometric functions to solve for unknown angles and sides.

5. How is theta related to the unit circle?

Theta is often used to represent the angle in the unit circle. The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 centered at the origin of a coordinate plane. The trigonometric functions can be represented on the unit circle by the coordinates of the point where the terminal side of the angle intersects the circle. This allows for a visual representation of how theta and trigonometric functions are related.