Calculating values of trig functions

In summary, calculators use partial sums of power series to approximate trigonometric functions like sine and cosine. The more terms used, the more accurate the approximation. However, some calculators may use the CORDIC algorithm instead.
Felix83
How does a calculator approximate a trig function. For example, you punch in sin(37deg) and the calculator will give you 0.6018150232. how does it figure this out?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
http://math.exeter.edu/rparris/peanut/cordic.pdf

or try a web search for "CORDIC."

Last edited by a moderator:
Calculators use partial sums of power series to approximate sine and cosine.

The power series for sine is:

[tex]sin(x) = x - \frac{1}{3!} * x^{3} + \frac{1}{5!} * x^{5} - \frac{1}{7!} * x^{7} + ...[/tex]

Cosine:

[tex]cos(x) = 1 - \frac{1}{2!} * x^{2} + \frac{1}{4!} * x^{4} - \frac{1}{6!} * x^{6} + ...[/tex]

I'm not sure how many terms they usually use, but that doesn't really matter. The more terms, the more accurate.

Moo Of Doom: I thought for a long time that calculators used power series but I've been told that is not true. Check out CranFan's suggestion about the CORDIC algorithm.

Really? Strange... I was just told that... oh well.

1. How do you calculate the values of trigonometric functions?

To calculate the values of trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent, you will need to use a calculator or a mathematical formula. The values of these functions depend on the angle or the ratio of sides in a right triangle.

2. What is the unit of measurement for the values of trig functions?

The values of trigonometric functions are unitless, meaning they do not have any specific unit of measurement. They are simply numbers that represent the relationship between the angle and sides of a right triangle.

3. Can you calculate the values of trig functions for any angle?

Yes, trigonometric functions can be calculated for any angle, whether it is acute, right, or obtuse. However, the values may be limited to a certain range depending on the type of calculator or formula used.

4. How do you use the unit circle to calculate trig function values?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1, centered at the origin of a coordinate plane. It can be used to calculate trigonometric function values by finding the coordinates of a point on the circle that corresponds to the given angle. The x-coordinate represents the cosine value, and the y-coordinate represents the sine value.

5. Are there any other methods for calculating trig function values?

Yes, there are other methods for calculating trigonometric function values, such as using trigonometric identities and series expansions. These methods may be more complex and are often used for more advanced calculations in mathematics and physics.