Pop goes the eardrum [not for the squeamish]

• Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
In summary, Russ woke up to intense pressure in his head and a ruptured eardrum. He was groggy and felt better, but did not put 2 and 2 together until later. He stuck a finger in his ear and came back with blood. Yay! He wasn't awake when the eardrum actually popped, so that part was painless. He shares his joy of waking up to a balloon feeling before getting yucky details about how it actually is not as bad as it sounds and heals on its own just fine. He says he's been sick all week, but wanted to share what he woke up to Monday morning. He shares that after an evening/night of intense pressure in his head, he awoke to
russ_watters
Mentor
I've been sick all week (which is why I haven't posted much), but I wanted to share what I woke up to Monday morning: After an evening/night of intense pressure in my head, I awoke to what an balloon must feel like when you let it go (it actually sounds like it too - pblackblackffffft). Being groggy, but feeling better, I didn't put 2 and 2 together right away, but later stuck a finger in my ear and came back with blood. Yay, ruptured eardrum.

Its actually not as bad as it sounds (this happened to me once in high school) and it heals on its own just fine. I wasn't awake this time when it actually popped, which is good, because that part is extremely painful.

Just thought I'd share my joy. :yuck:

Physics news on Phys.org
russ_watters said:
I've been sick all week (which is why I haven't posted much), but I wanted to share what I woke up to Monday morning: After an evening/night of intense pressure in my head, I awoke to what an balloon must feel like when you let it go (it actually sounds like it too - pblackblackffffft). Being groggy, but feeling better, I didn't put 2 and 2 together right away, but later stuck a finger in my ear and came back with blood. Yay, ruptured eardrum.

Its actually not as bad as it sounds (this happened to me once in high school) and it heals on its own just fine. I wasn't awake this time when it actually popped, which is good, because that part is extremely painful.

Just thought I'd share my joy. :yuck:
That does sound yucky. Hope you feel your same, fiesty, Democrat fightin', Bush supportin', engineering guru self in no time.

Ouch! Sounds like a really bad cold. Hope you get better soon.

That's what happens if you get too smart and don't grow your head bigger to go with your brain; all that pressure inside, your brain is going to have to squeeze out through somewhere! :biggrin:

I hope it wasn't your right ear, afterall, it would only add to your pain if the only people you could hear clearly were those on the left. :wink:

Feel better soon! :smile:

Edit: Ooh ooh, wait, I've got another one! Is that what happens when you're around too many liberals and the steam starts coming out your ears? Okay folks, we all thought it was amusing to watch Russ' ears steaming, but apparently it's painful, so we'll have to ease up a bit. It's all fun and games until somebody loses and eardrum. :tongue2:

Last edited:
I hope it wasn't your right ear, afterall, it would only add to your pain if the only people you could hear clearly were those on the left.

sorry, i just had to quote that!

Gza said:
sorry, i just had to quote that!

It's okay...Russ knows my teasing about his conservative leanings is all in jest.

I have been there, and could tell a "one ups manship" type story that would make your current condition down right pleasant. It would involve words like, broken, infected eardrum, transcontinental airplane flight and funeral. So won't go into details.

Get well soon.

Sorry you're sick Russ. :frown: Hope you (and your ear) get better soon.

Moonbear said:
I hope it wasn't your right ear, afterall, it would only add to your pain if the only people you could hear clearly were those on the left...

...Is that what happens when you're around too many liberals and the steam starts coming out your ears?
As a matter of fact, it was my right ear - you'd think with hippie friends around (yes, I have some hippie friends), it woulda been my left ear!

russ_watters said:
As a matter of fact, it was my right ear - you'd think with hippie friends around (yes, I have some hippie friends), it woulda been my left ear!

No, all the drivel goes in the left ear, and builds up against the right ear drum, until...kabloooey!

franznietzsche said:
No, all the drivel goes in the left ear, and builds up against the right ear drum, until...kabloooey!

Oh, so it's "in one ear and out the other" syndrome.

Hope you're feeling better Russ.

"heals on its own just fine."

Do you mind if I ask how incapacitating the pain is? How long does it last? How long does it take to heal? And if it really heals completely?

Cuz I recently learned how to provoque rupture in my self-defense class and am wondering how good an option it is.

1. What causes the eardrum to "pop"?

The eardrum can "pop" due to a sudden change in pressure in the middle ear. This can happen when we yawn, swallow, or when there is a significant change in altitude, such as when flying in an airplane.

2. Is "popping" of the eardrum normal?

Yes, it is a normal physiological response to changing pressure in the middle ear. It helps to equalize the pressure on both sides of the eardrum and prevent damage.

3. Can "popping" the eardrum cause damage?

In most cases, no. However, if the pressure changes are too sudden or too extreme, it can cause damage to the eardrum or other structures in the ear. This is why it is important to avoid activities that can cause rapid or extreme changes in pressure, such as diving or flying with a cold or sinus infection.

4. How can I prevent my eardrum from "popping"?

You can prevent your eardrum from "popping" by actively equalizing the pressure in your middle ear. This can be done by swallowing, yawning, or using the Valsalva maneuver (holding your nose and gently blowing air out through your nose). It is also important to avoid activities that can cause rapid or extreme changes in pressure, as mentioned before.

5. What should I do if my eardrum "pops" excessively?

If you experience frequent or excessive "popping" of the eardrum, it is important to consult a doctor. This could be a sign of a more serious issue, such as a blockage in the Eustachian tube or a middle ear infection.