What Role Does Sulphuric Acid Play in This Electrochemistry Reaction?

In summary, Fe2+, Fe3+, Cr2O7(2-) and Cr3+ are contained in a solution in standard states with dilute sulphuric acid. Sulphuric acid serves two purposes in this solution: first, to keep the pH low enough to prevent precipitation of Fe(OH)3, and second, to provide H+ ions for the Cr2O72- ions to act as an oxidizer. The addition of the acid may also be necessary to increase the conductivity of water for the redox reaction to occur. Overall, the sulphuric acid does not act as a catalyst, but rather as a necessary component for the reaction to take place.
josephcollins
Hi people, I have the following question. Fe2+, Fe3+, Cr2O7(2-) and Cr3+ are contained in a solution in standard states with dilute sulphuric acid. Deduce what happens. I am wondering here what effect the sulphuric acid has, is it simply a catalyst for the reaction in which the Cr2O72- is reduced to Cr3+ and the Fe2+ is oxidised to Fe3+? Could someone check this for me, thx. Joe

Chemistry news on Phys.org
josephcollins said:
Hi people, I have the following question. Fe2+, Fe3+, Cr2O7(2-) and Cr3+ are contained in a solution in standard states with dilute sulphuric acid. Deduce what happens. I am wondering here what effect the sulphuric acid has, is it simply a catalyst for the reaction in which the Cr2O72- is reduced to Cr3+ and the Fe2+ is oxidised to Fe3+? Could someone check this for me, thx. Joe
[tex]Fe^{2+} _{(aq)} + Fe^{3+} _{(aq)} + Cr_2 O_7 _{(aq)}^{2-} + Cr^{3+} _{(aq)} + H_2 SO_4 _{(aq)}[/tex]

By the looks of it, I would say the sulphuric acid is a catalyst because all the other substances are ions and the sulphuric acid is not so is not really in a state to be used. If this is the case then I can see nothing wrong with your redox statements.

However if it was not used as a catalyst, I think the sulpate ion from the sulphuric acid would bond with the [tex]Fe^{2+}[/tex] I haven't got time to see if this will change the oxidation states because I have to be out of the house in -3 minutes.

Hope that might have helped. Gurus, enlighten us :smile:

The Bob (2004 ©)

The Bob said:
[tex]Fe^{2+} _{(aq)} + Fe^{3+} _{(aq)} + Cr_2 O_7 _{(aq)}^{2-} + Cr^{3+} _{(aq)} + H_2 SO_4 _{(aq)}[/tex]

By the looks of it, I would say the sulphuric acid is a catalyst because all the other substances are ions and the sulphuric acid is not so is not really in a state to be used. If this is the case then I can see nothing wrong with your redox statements.

H2SO4 in aqueous solution is dissociated as well. So you have made a mistake at the beginning of your reasoning...

Hope that might have helped. Gurus, enlighten us :smile:

Here goes the enlightenement:

Sulphuric acid server two purposes.

First, it is necessary in the solution containing Fe3+ to ensure pH is low enough to disallow precipitation of Fe(OH)3.

Second, in order for the Cr2O72- ions to work as oxidizer H+ ions are necessary (so they are not catalysing reaction, they are a substrate), as the half reaction is

[tex]Cr_2O_7^{2-} + 14H^+ +6e^- \rightarrow 2Cr^{3+} + 7H_2O[/tex]

Fe2+ ions are oxidized to Fe3+.

Borek said:
H2SO4 in aqueous solution is dissociated as well. So you have made a mistake at the beginning of your reasoning...
I realized what I had implied when I turned my PC off but I didn't have time to turn it on, change it and get to college on time.

I do apologise.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Simply balance the redox reaction equation, your gen chem text should teach you how to do this, it's very simple.

Overall, it may be that the addition of the acid is necessary to increase the conductivity of water; this is a redox reaction after all. This is my guess, though I'm not certain.

1. What is electrochemistry?

Electrochemistry is a branch of chemistry that deals with the study of the relationship between electricity and chemical reactions. It focuses on the conversion of chemical energy into electrical energy and vice versa.

2. What are the key components of an electrochemical cell?

The key components of an electrochemical cell are the anode, cathode, and electrolyte. The anode is the electrode where oxidation occurs, the cathode is the electrode where reduction occurs, and the electrolyte is the solution that allows for the flow of ions between the anode and cathode.

3. What is the difference between a galvanic cell and an electrolytic cell?

A galvanic cell, also known as a voltaic cell, converts chemical energy into electrical energy. It uses a spontaneous redox reaction to generate electricity. On the other hand, an electrolytic cell uses an external source of electrical energy to drive a non-spontaneous redox reaction.

4. How is the cell potential of an electrochemical cell determined?

The cell potential, also known as the voltage, of an electrochemical cell is determined by the difference in the standard reduction potentials of the anode and cathode. The larger the difference, the higher the cell potential will be.

5. What are some real-life applications of electrochemistry?

Electrochemistry has many real-life applications, including batteries, fuel cells, corrosion prevention, and metal plating. It is also used in industries such as pharmaceuticals, electronics, and agriculture.