Finding Value of Phi*k(x) in Basis Function Method

In summary, in order to find Cn in the equation Psi(x) = Sumationn CnPhin(x), one must multiply both sides by Phi*k(x) and take the integral, resulting in Ck if n = k. The value of Phi*k(x) is unknown, but multiplying by it makes the function orthonormal when n != k and normalized when n = k. The basis \{\phi_{n} \}_{n=1}^{\infty} is orthonormal if the condition \langle \phi_i|\phi_j\rangle = \int \limits_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\phi_i^*(x)\phi_j(x)\; dx=\delta_{ij} is
ohhhnooo
Psi(x) = Sumationn CnPhin(x)

in order to find Cn, i have to multiply both side of the above equation by Phi*k(x) and take the integral. The result is Ck if n = k. My question is what is the value of Phi*k(x)?

i know that multiplying both side of the equation by Phi*k(x) would make the function orthonormal when n != k, and normalize when n = k. But i don't know how to find it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this:[tex]\psi(x)=\sum_{n}C_{n}\phi_{n}(x) [/tex](1)...?

Is the basis [tex] \{\phi_{n} \}_{n=1}^{\infty} [/tex] orthonormal...?If so,then multiply (1) by [itex] \phi_{k}^{*}(x)[/itex],sum after "k" & integrate after "x"...

Daniel.

what is the condition for [tex] \{\phi_{n} \}_{n=1}^{\infty} [/tex] to be orthonormal? thanks

ohhhnooo said:
what is the condition for [tex] \{\phi_{n} \}_{n=1}^{\infty} [/tex] to be orthonormal? thanks
Per definition, if the following holds, the set [itex]\{\phi_{n} \}_{n=1}^{\infty}[/itex] is orthonormal:

[tex]\langle \phi_i|\phi_j\rangle = \int \limits_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\phi_i^*(x)\phi_j(x)\; dx=\delta_{ij}[/tex]

can you provide an example?

Hidrogenoid functions are an interesting example.SHO eigenfunctions are other example.Rigid rotator is another example.Infinite square well and so on,and so forth.

Daniel.

1. What is the purpose of finding the value of Phi*k(x) in Basis Function Method?

The value of Phi*k(x) in Basis Function Method is used to determine the coefficients of the basis functions that best represent a given data set. This is important in various scientific fields, such as data analysis and signal processing, where the accurate representation of data is crucial for making meaningful conclusions.

2. How is the value of Phi*k(x) calculated in Basis Function Method?

The value of Phi*k(x) is calculated by multiplying the basis function (Phi) with the data point (x) and then summing all the values for all the basis functions. This process is repeated for each data point in the data set, resulting in a matrix of values that can be used to find the coefficients of the basis functions.

3. What are the applications of Basis Function Method in scientific research?

Basis Function Method has various applications in scientific research, including data analysis, signal processing, and machine learning. It is also used in fields such as image and audio processing, where the accurate representation of data is crucial for analysis and decision making.

4. How does Basis Function Method compare to other data representation methods?

Compared to other data representation methods, Basis Function Method offers a more flexible and accurate representation of data. It allows for a customized set of basis functions to be used, which can better capture the characteristics of the data set. Additionally, it is computationally efficient and can handle large data sets with ease.

5. What are the limitations of Basis Function Method?

One limitation of Basis Function Method is that it requires prior knowledge or assumptions about the data set in order to choose the appropriate basis functions. Additionally, it may not be suitable for highly complex data sets that cannot be accurately represented by a few basis functions.