Calculate the molar volume using the van der Waals equation.

In summary, to calculate the molar volume using the van der Waals equation of a gas, one can use iterative successive substitution by making an initial estimate using the ideal gas law and then using the Van der Waals equation to iteratively solve for the specific volume until the estimate stops changing.
EmmanuelD

Homework Statement

Calculate the molar volume using the van der Waals equation of a gas at P=3000psia, T=60F. The critical pressure and temperature, Pc and Tc, are Pc=408psia, Tc=504F.

Homework Equations

The given van der Waals equations(s):

(P+a/Vm^2)(Vm-b)=RT ----(1)

Vm^3-Vm^2(b+RT/P)+Vm(a/P)-(ab/P) ----(2)

a=(27/64)R^2Tc^2/Pc^2 ----(3)

b=(1/8)RTc^2/8Pc^2 ----(4)

The Attempt at a Solution

I first determined the constants a and b to be:

a=110600psia(ft^3/lb-mol)^2

b=3.168ft^3/lb-mol

And since the critical volume Vc=3b:

Vc=3(3.168)=9.504ft^3/lb-mol

I then basically simplified the cubic equation of state as much as I could and came up with this (leaving the units out for the moment):

Vm^3-Vm^2(9.504)+Vm(270.978)-(858.458)=0

Now, I don't know how to solve for the roots of this particular cubic equation. I tried factoring out the term Vm, leaving me with a root equal to zero and a quadratic polynomial. I tried solving for the roots of the quadratic polynomial using the quadratic formula but calculated complex roots which are incorrect, I believe.

Does anyone know of a practical method for calculating the molar volume of a real gas using the van der Waals equation of state?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Probably, iterative successive substitution would work. Make an initial estimate of the molar volume using the ideal gas law. Then re-express the Van der Waals equation as:
[tex]V_m=b+\frac{RT}{P-\frac{a}{V_m^2}}[/tex]
Than solve it iteratively according to:
[tex]V_m^{n+1}=b+\frac{RT}{P-\frac{a}{(V_m^n)^2}}[/tex]
where n is the number of the iteration. If the method converges, you will have your answer. Just keep iterating until the estimate of the specific volume stops changing from one iteration to the next.

Likes Thermo

1. What is the van der Waals equation?

The van der Waals equation is a mathematical formula that describes the behavior of real gases, taking into account the volume of the gas molecules and the attractive forces between them.

2. How do you calculate the molar volume using the van der Waals equation?

The molar volume can be calculated using the van der Waals equation by rearranging the equation to solve for V (volume) and plugging in the values for n (number of moles), P (pressure), and T (temperature).

3. What are the units for the variables in the van der Waals equation?

The units for the variables in the van der Waals equation are as follows: n (moles) - mol, P (pressure) - Pa (Pascal), V (volume) - m3, and T (temperature) - K (Kelvin).

4. Can the van der Waals equation be used for all gases?

No, the van der Waals equation is most accurate for gases that have small molecules and low pressures. It is less accurate for gases with larger molecules and high pressures.

5. Is the molar volume calculated using the van der Waals equation the same as the ideal gas molar volume?

No, the molar volume calculated using the van der Waals equation takes into account the volume of the gas molecules and the attractive forces between them, while the ideal gas molar volume assumes that gas molecules have no volume and do not interact with each other.