Help with data from tensile test

In summary, a student received data from a tensile strength test on a 4 mm diameter axle in school. They are expected to plot a stress-strain diagram using the data, but are having trouble getting a similar graph. The student also mentions that there may be an issue with the dimensions of the rod and the force values listed in the data file. They are seeking help with their MATLAB code.
Huumah
Hi

Just got the data from a tensile strength test on a axle we did in school.

Before it broke:
http://i.imgur.com/1ddrZ7j.png

The data :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xf5m8m8gyco561n/data.txt

column 1: the displacement in mm

column 2: the force in kNI'm supposed to plot a stress strain diagram like this http://i.imgur.com/qdoHBse.pngMy MATLAB code:
Code:
    load data.txt

%diameter 4 mm
    d=4;
    cross_section_area=pi*d^2/4;

Length=140;

displacement=data(:,1);
    force=data(:,2);

for i=1:length(displacement)

stress(i)=force(i)/cross_section_area;
    end
    stress

for i=1:length(force)
        strain(i)=displacement(i)/Length;
    end
    strain
    plot(strain,stress)

I'm supposed to filter the original data a bit but I have tried but i don't get nothing simular to the desired graph. Can anyone help me

Edit : Its aluminum 6082 T6

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Huumah: Did your rod break suddenly, right at the end of the rod? Perhaps you had a stress concentration, because you did not provide a large fillet at the rod ends?

Aside from that, something seems amiss in your rod dimensions. If the diameter of the rod shown in your photograph is 4 mm, then its length (the small portion) cannot be 140 mm. Check the dimensions of your rod carefully. What were the exact dimensions of the small portion of your rod, before applying force to it?

Furthermore, if your rod is really 4 mm in diameter, then if it is Al 6082-T6, it would break at approximately 3.7 kN, not the values listed in your data file. Something seems amiss.

By the way, although this will not change the shape of your plot, do not forget to convert the force to Newtons (N), by multiplying your force by 1000.

Also, in post 1, you said column 1 in your data file is displacement (mm). Then why does the value in column 1 virtually never change? There appear to be three columns in your data file. Therefore, what is column 3, in your data file?

Last edited:

1. What is a tensile test and why is it important?

A tensile test is a type of mechanical testing used to determine the strength and behavior of a material under tension. It is important because it helps scientists and engineers understand the physical properties of a material, which can inform design and manufacturing processes.

2. How is data collected during a tensile test?

Data is collected during a tensile test using a specialized machine called a universal testing machine. This machine applies an increasing amount of force to a sample of the material until it reaches its breaking point, all while recording the various measurements such as force, displacement, and strain.

3. What types of data can be obtained from a tensile test?

A tensile test can provide a variety of data, including the ultimate tensile strength, yield strength, and elongation of the material. It can also provide information on the material's stiffness and toughness.

4. How is data from a tensile test analyzed?

Data from a tensile test is typically analyzed using graphs and calculations. A stress-strain curve is created to visualize the relationship between the applied force and the resulting deformation of the material. Various calculations, such as Young's modulus and yield strength, can also be performed using the collected data.

5. What are some common sources of error in a tensile test?

Some common sources of error in a tensile test include inconsistencies in the sample material, improper specimen preparation, and human error in data collection and analysis. Environmental factors, such as temperature and humidity, can also affect the results of a tensile test.