Calculating Torque for Crane Movement on Rails | Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter Bronka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the conversation revolves around calculating the torque needed for a crane to move on rails. The person asking for help provided a simple drawing of the crane and mentioned needing guidance on how to calculate the torque for each wheel. The person responding notes that without enough data, it would be difficult to arrive at an exact figure and suggests seeking advice from someone with experience in cranes.
Bronka
Hi,
I am trying to solve a problem.

I want to try to calculate the torque needed to make a crane move on rails.
I attached simple drawing of a crane. i want to calculate torque needed for each one of the four wheels so i could try choose proper electromotors and reducers.

I don't need exact calculations, i want some guidance at how it is calculated.

P.S. sorry for my English, not native language but trying hard.
P.P.S. dimensions in drawing are in mm.

Attachments

• Crane.jpg
    Crane.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 431
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Bronka. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

I don't think you can arrive at a reliable figure, due to lack of data. When traveling at a steady speed, the driving torque is entirely dependent on friction (and also wind/air resistance, in light of the significant size of the structure). But on top of this, to give the crane an acceleration from standstill, you will need extra short-term torque. It's 10 metres tall, is it?

A very practical person with experience of large cranes would be able to give a reasonable estimate, but this would be based on his experience, rather than data.

In short, not enough information! http://physicsforums.bernhardtmediall.netdna-cdn.com/images/icons/icon6.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is torque and how is it defined?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is defined as the product of a force and its distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How do I calculate torque?

To calculate torque, you need to know the magnitude of the force applied to the object and the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. The formula for torque is: torque = force x distance.

3. What are the units for torque?

The SI unit for torque is Newton-meters (Nm). Other commonly used units include foot-pounds (ft-lb) and inch-pounds (in-lb).

4. What factors affect the torque of an object?

The torque of an object is affected by the magnitude of the applied force, the distance from the axis of rotation to the point of application of the force, and the angle between the force and the lever arm.

5. What is the significance of torque in physics and engineering?

Torque plays a crucial role in understanding the motion of objects and designing machines and structures. It is also essential in the fields of engineering and physics, as it is a fundamental concept in rotational dynamics and helps in the analysis of rotational motion and systems.