Impedance and Phase Angle in a Simple Circuit

In summary, the conversation discussed finding currents, power, impedance, and voltage in a given circuit. The resulting impedance was calculated to be 28.3Ω ∠-10.32°, and the possibility of adding a power factor correction component to achieve a phase angle of 0 was mentioned. However, the specific changes allowed to the circuit were not specified.
Mutaja

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=69332&stc=1&d=1399052386.png

Given the circuit above.

a) Find I1, I2 and I.

b) Find the power used in branch 1 and branch 2. (please correct my "translation" if it's wrong)

c) Find the resulting impedance and phase angle. (Is resulting impedance a term?)

d) Find the voltage between node A and node B.

e) How can we get the phase angle to be 0 in the circuit?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The question I need help with, is c). I've done both a) and b).

My impedance, ZT, which I used in order to find the currents, is 28.3Ω ∠-20.5°

What's the difference between impedance and "result" impedance? My professor said that the magnitude of the impedance will still be the same (28.3Ω), but the phase angle will be different.

The way he explained it, I'm thinking that something is affecting the impedance, with a positive phase angle. I'm thinking the answer should be around 10 degrees.

Does anyone have any input on this problem? Please let me know if you want me to post my calculations for the first two problems. I have everything written down on paper so it won't take too long.

Appreciate any feedback.

Attachments

• Impedance and phase angle.PNG
    Impedance and phase angle.PNG
    4.8 KB · Views: 693
Physics news on Phys.org
Mutaja said:

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=69332&stc=1&d=1399052386.png

Given the circuit above.

a) Find I1, I2 and I.

b) Find the power used in branch 1 and branch 2. (please correct my "translation" if it's wrong)

c) Find the resulting impedance and phase angle. (Is resulting impedance a term?)

d) Find the voltage between node A and node B.

e) How can we get the phase angle to be 0 in the circuit?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The question I need help with, is c). I've done both a) and b).

My impedance, ZT, which I used in order to find the currents, is 28.3Ω ∠-20.5°
Recheck that phase angle. It appears to be about double what I'm seeing.

What's the difference between impedance and "result" impedance? My professor said that the magnitude of the impedance will still be the same (28.3Ω), but the phase angle will be different.
My interpretation is that it implies the net impedance as seen by the voltage source.

gneill said:
Recheck that phase angle. It appears to be about double what I'm seeing.

I actually like this. Below will be how I calculated it.

Z1 = 30Ω + j[itex]\frac{15}{2}[/itex]∏Ω
= 38.15Ω ∠38.15°

Z2 = 20Ω - j31.83Ω
= 37.59Ω ∠-57.86°

ZT = [itex]\frac{Z1 * Z2}{Z1 + Z2}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{(38.15Ω ∠38.15°)(37.59Ω ∠-57.86°)}{50Ω - j 8.27Ω}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{(38.15Ω ∠38.15°)(37.59Ω ∠-57.86°)}{50.68Ω∠-9.39°}[/itex]

ZT = 28.3Ω∠-10.32°

I made a mistake when converting my Z1 + Z2 into polar form. Also, from my original attempt, I had an error with a - sign. This might still be wrong, though.

gneill said:
My interpretation is that it implies the net impedance as seen by the voltage source.

How does this differ from the actual ZT? The voltage source is at 0°.

Mutaja said:
I actually like this. Below will be how I calculated it.

Z1 = 30Ω + j[itex]\frac{15}{2}[/itex]∏Ω
= 38.15Ω ∠38.15°

Z2 = 20Ω - j31.83Ω
= 37.59Ω ∠-57.86°

ZT = [itex]\frac{Z1 * Z2}{Z1 + Z2}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{(38.15Ω ∠38.15°)(37.59Ω ∠-57.86°)}{50Ω - j 8.27Ω}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{(38.15Ω ∠38.15°)(37.59Ω ∠-57.86°)}{50.68Ω∠-9.39°}[/itex]

ZT = 28.3Ω∠-10.32°
Yup. Looks much better now!

I made a mistake when converting my Z1 + Z2 into polar form. Also, from my original attempt, I had an error with a - sign. This might still be wrong, though.

How does this differ from the actual ZT? The voltage source is at 0°.

It doesn't. Your ZT is the net impedance of the circuit which the voltage source "sees". Presumably the voltage source is providing the reference angle to which all other voltages and currents are to be compared. The angles associated with impedances are a separate matter: they are an intrinsic property of the components depending only on frequency of operation.

gneill said:
It doesn't. Your ZT is the net impedance of the circuit which the voltage source "sees". Presumably the voltage source is providing the reference angle to which all other voltages and currents are to be compared. The angles associated with impedances are a separate matter: they are an intrinsic property of the components depending only on frequency of operation.

Ok, so my ZT is my final answer. I must've misunderstood what my professor tired to explain.

Perhaps it's an easier way, or at least a way, to figure out the currents in exercise a) - without using the impedance? If there is, then the question makes sense at least.

Well, I'll be moving onto the next question. You might hear from me

On my e) question: "
e) How can we get the phase angle to be 0 in the circuit?" I've done this:

I would like to add a capacitor in parallel with the rest of the circuit, since it will add a positive phase angle to my circuit, and my total Z is 28.3 at a angle of - 10.32 degrees. My thinking behind this is that the new total Z will be 28.3 + x magnitude from the capacitor, and -10.32 + y degrees = 0 degrees. Am I onto something here?

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mutaja said:
On my e) question: "
e) How can we get the phase angle to be 0 in the circuit?" I've done this:

I would like to add a capacitor in parallel with the rest of the circuit, since it will add a positive phase angle to my circuit, and my total Z is 28.3 at a angle of - 10.32 degrees. My thinking behind this is that the new total Z will be 28.3 + x magnitude from the capacitor, and -10.32 + y degrees = 0 degrees. Am I onto something here?

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The question is pretty vague actually. It doesn't specify what the limits are, if any, to the changes you are allowed to make to the circuit. Adding a power factor correction component in the form of a parallel capacitor or inductor is a common approach though.

Note that your starting impedance already has a negative phase angle. Does that make the load "look" capacitive or inductive to begin with? (what's the impedance angle of a capacitor? An inductor?).

You might consider looking at the load in terms of admittance rather than impedance (Y = 1/Z), and do so in rectangular form rather than polar form. Admittances in parallel add in straightforward arithmetic fashion, so choosing an admittance to cancel the imaginary term can be done by inspection...

gneill said:
The question is pretty vague actually. It doesn't specify what the limits are, if any, to the changes you are allowed to make to the circuit. Adding a power factor correction component in the form of a parallel capacitor or inductor is a common approach though.

That's very true, to be honest. However, I feel that, with what we've learned in out lectures in mind, that what they want here is me adding a reactance. I assumed, wrongly, that it should be a capacitor.

gneill said:
Note that your starting impedance already has a negative phase angle. Does that make the load "look" capacitive or inductive to begin with? (what's the impedance angle of a capacitor? An inductor?).

As mentioned, I was mistaken when I assumed I had to add a capacitor.

To answer your question, I think it makes the load look capacitive, thus I must add a inductance in parallel to the circuit to make the load "neutral".

gneill said:
You might consider looking at the load in terms of admittance rather than impedance (Y = 1/Z), and do so in rectangular form rather than polar form. Admittances in parallel add in straightforward arithmetic fashion, so choosing an admittance to cancel the imaginary term can be done by inspection...

We haven't had any lectures about admittance, although we've talked about it. I will look into this, though, and see if I understand it.

But the way I see it, I can add a reactance, which can be either a capacitor or inductor. Since the load is capacitive, I need to add an inductor. Is this a possible solution to the problem?

Mutaja said:
But the way I see it, I can add a reactance, which can be either a capacitor or inductor. Since the load is capacitive, I need to add an inductor. Is this a possible solution to the problem?

Yup. An alternative is a series reactance. Or, perhaps more impractically, altering the frequency of the source...

After you do the parallel reactance calculation try the series version for extra credit :wink:

gneill said:
Yup. An alternative is a series reactance. Or, perhaps more impractically, altering the frequency of the source...

After you do the parallel reactance calculation try the series version for extra credit :wink:

Hehe.

I tried drawing the new series and setting up the expression.

ZT = [itex]\frac{Z2*Z3}{Z2+Z3}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{Z23*Z1}{Z23+Z1}[/itex]

where Z3 is the unknown inductor.

What I get then is x ∠0° = [itex]\frac{(37.59Ω∠-57.86°)(xΩ∠90°)}{20Ω-j31.83+xΩ+j0Ω}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{(37.59*xΩ∠-57.86+x°)(38.15Ω∠38.15°)}{20+xΩ-j31.83+30Ω+j15/2 ∏Ω}[/itex]

I'm not able to find x from this expression, and I'm afraid I've taken one step back heh.

No need to bring the individual impedances of the branches back into the problem. You can work with the net impedance of the load.

To find the compensation component for a series connection use impedance. To find the compensation component for a parallel connection use admittance. Use rectangular form for the complex values.

Call the existing load impedance Z and its equivalent admittance Y = 1/Z. Call the impedance of your compensating component z, and its admittance y. All you need is for z or y to cancel the imaginary component of Z or Y.

Impedances in series add: Znew = Z + z

Admittances in parallel add: Ynew = Y + y

gneill said:
No need to bring the individual impedances of the branches back into the problem. You can work with the net impedance of the load.

To find the compensation component for a series connection use impedance. To find the compensation component for a parallel connection use admittance. Use rectangular form for the complex values.

Call the existing load impedance Z and its equivalent admittance Y = 1/Z. Call the impedance of your compensating component z, and its admittance y. All you need is for z or y to cancel the imaginary component of Z or Y.

Impedances in series add: Znew = Z + z

Admittances in parallel add: Ynew = Y + y

I'm still left with a similar expression as above. I'd rather not write down exactly what I've done but here's my thinking:

I've written down my ZT as Z. I've converted my Z into Y. I've set up the expression Ynew = Y + y. A small example of that would be Ynew = [itex]\frac{1}{Z}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex]

Then I'm lost again... What am I missing here?

Mutaja said:
I'm still left with a similar expression as above. I'd rather not write down exactly what I've done but here's my thinking:

I've written down my ZT as Z. I've converted my Z into Y. I've set up the expression Ynew = Y + y. A small example of that would be Ynew = [itex]\frac{1}{Z}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex]

Then I'm lost again... What am I missing here?

Just use Ynew = Y + y. Otherwise, why introduce admittance if you're just going to discard it and go back to impedance?

What is the value of Y (numerical)?

gneill said:
Just use Ynew = Y + y. Otherwise, why introduce admittance if you're just going to discard it and go back to impedance?

What is the value of Y (numerical)?

The magnitude is [itex]\frac{1}{28.3}[/itex] = 0.0353 S (with an angle of positive 10.32)

Mutaja said:
The magnitude is [itex]\frac{1}{28.3}[/itex] = 0.0353 S (with an angle of positive 10.32)

Rectangular form please.

gneill said:
Rectangular form please.

Of course. 10.32 S + j 89.8 S. How should I use this to proceed? :confused:

Mutaja said:
Of course. 10.32 S + j 89.8 S. How should I use this to proceed? :confused:

Hmm. Those components look too big to yield a magnitude of 1/28.3 . Check your calculation.

To proceed (once you have the correct rectangular form for Y), you want to find a value for y that will cancel the imaginary component of Y when you add them (Y + y).

gneill said:
Hmm. Those components look too big to yield a magnitude of 1/28.3 . Check your calculation.

To proceed (once you have the correct rectangular form for Y), you want to find a value for y that will cancel the imaginary component of Y when you add them (Y + y).

I've been mixing polar and rectangular form. Hopefully I'm done with that now :redface:

So the rectangular form: 0.0347 + j0.00632.

So what I want is for y to be something -j0.00632. That something can be 0?

y = 0 - j0.00632

Ynew = 0.0347 + j0.00632 + (0 - j0.00632)
= 0.0347 + j 0

Now I'm interested i y, which is z = [itex]\frac{1}{y}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{0.00632}[/itex] = 158.23 Ω

I'm not sure if what I've written here makes any sense, but at least I have an answer which does make sense. If I add an inductor with 158.23Ω∠90° impedance the phase angle will be 0.

Yes, that's the right idea. What value of inductor will give a reactance of 158 Ohms?

gneill said:
Yes, that's the right idea. What value of inductor will give a reactance of 158 Ohms?

Didn't notice this, sorry.

2∏fL = Ω -> [itex]\frac{2∏f}{Ω}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{L}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{2∏*50hZ}{158Ω}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{0.5H}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{0.5H}[/itex] = 2H.

I haven't been very accurate with decimals here.

You do strange things with your algebra :smile:

If ##2 \pi f L = \Omega## then just divide both sides by ##2 \pi f## to yield ##L = \frac{\Omega}{2 \pi f}##.

gneill said:
You do strange things with your algebra :smile:

If ##2 \pi f L = \Omega## then just divide both sides by ##2 \pi f## to yield ##L = \frac{\Omega}{2 \pi f}##.

Sigh. In my defense, my method works! I just got confused by my own stupidity, and switched the Henry's.

But, I'd rather not talk about it. :tongue:

1. What is impedance?

Impedance is a measure of the opposition to the flow of an alternating current (AC) in a circuit. It is represented by the symbol Z and is measured in ohms (Ω).

2. How is impedance different from resistance?

Resistance is a measure of the opposition to the flow of a direct current (DC) in a circuit, while impedance takes into account both resistance and reactance (the opposition to the flow of AC caused by inductance and capacitance).

3. What is phase angle?

Phase angle is the measure of the difference in phase between two alternating quantities, such as voltage and current. It is measured in degrees (°) or radians (rad).

4. How is impedance related to phase angle?

The phase angle of a circuit is directly related to the impedance. The larger the impedance, the larger the phase angle, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation Z = R + jX, where R is the resistance and X is the reactance.

5. Why is impedance and phase angle important in circuit analysis?

Impedance and phase angle are important in circuit analysis because they allow us to understand and predict the behavior of AC circuits. By calculating the impedance and phase angle, we can determine the efficiency and power consumption of a circuit, as well as identify potential problems or limitations.