Calculating Resistance for Cylindrical Conductors

In summary, the resistance of a cylinder is the measure of its ability to resist changes in its shape, size, or motion when a force is applied to it. It can be calculated by dividing the applied force by the resulting change in shape, size, or motion. Factors such as material, shape, size, and force can affect the resistance of a cylinder, and temperature can also play a role by altering the material properties. To increase the resistance of a cylinder, one can use a stronger material, increase its size or length, or add support structures or reinforcements.
delsoo

Homework Statement

can anybody help me with this question? my ans is different from the ans given... i need explanation on this ! here's my attempt by the way.
r=pl/a . r=resistance , p = resistivity l=length

r=(1.69e-8)(2pi )(6e-2 +1.5 e-3 )(300) / (pi )(1.5e-3)^2

what's wrong with my working? p/s e =1 x 10^x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• DSC_0134~4[1].jpg
    DSC_0134~4[1].jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 392
  • DSC_0135~3[1].jpg
    DSC_0135~3[1].jpg
    26 KB · Views: 267
Physics news on Phys.org
You ignored the perfect electrical contact between successive turns. You don't have a single long wire, you have a conducting cylinder.
(6e-2 +1.5 e-3 )
Minor detail: this is the outer radius, not the average radius.

1. What is the resistance of a cylinder?

The resistance of a cylinder is the measure of its ability to resist changes in its shape, size, or motion when a force is applied to it.

2. How is the resistance of a cylinder calculated?

The resistance of a cylinder is calculated by dividing the force applied to the cylinder by the change in its shape, size, or motion caused by that force.

3. What factors affect the resistance of a cylinder?

The resistance of a cylinder is affected by its material, shape, size, and the force applied to it. Different materials have different levels of resistance, and cylinders with larger diameters or lengths have more resistance than smaller ones.

4. How does temperature affect the resistance of a cylinder?

Temperature can affect the resistance of a cylinder by causing changes in its material properties, such as expansion or contraction, which can alter its resistance to force.

5. How can the resistance of a cylinder be increased?

The resistance of a cylinder can be increased by using a stronger material, increasing its size or length, or by adding support structures or reinforcements to the cylinder.