Calculation Help: Solve for T and Find My Mistake

In summary, to solve for T in a calculation, isolate the variable T on one side of the equation using inverse operations. If you get a different answer than what is provided, double check your work and try plugging in the given values. To check if you solved for T correctly, substitute the value back into the original equation or use a calculator. If unsure of which operation to use, work backwards from the answer or seek guidance from a teacher or tutor. It is also acceptable to use a different variable instead of T, as long as you are consistent and remember to solve for it.
asdf1
for the following question:
22.64*(T-273)+05*6.28*.001*[(T^2)-(273^2)]=22.64*(373-T)+.5*6.28*.001*[(373^2)-(T^2)]
T=?

my problem:
i used the x=[-b+(b^2-4ac)]/2 formula and got T=313
however, T should be 323.2!
agh... my calculation drives me nuts...

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh my, that looks horrible.
Anyway, I've chugged it into Maple. It gave 310.7.
Then I changed the 05 in your expression to 0.5 since that was probably a typo and out popped 323.3

thanks! i'll try the calculations again...

1. How do I solve for T in a calculation?

To solve for T in a calculation, you need to isolate the variable T on one side of the equation. This can be done by using inverse operations to cancel out any constants or other variables on the same side as T. Once T is isolated, you can solve for it by performing the necessary operations on both sides of the equation to get a numerical value for T.

2. What should I do if I get a different answer than what is provided?

If you get a different answer than what is provided, it is likely that you made a mistake somewhere in your calculations. Double check your work and make sure you followed the correct order of operations. If you are still unable to find the error, try plugging in the given values into your equation to see if they produce the same result. If not, it is possible that the given answer is incorrect and you should consult with a teacher or tutor.

3. How can I check if I solved for T correctly?

To check if you solved for T correctly, you can substitute the value you found for T back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. If both sides of the equation are equal, then you have solved for T correctly. You can also use a calculator to verify your answer.

4. What should I do if I am not sure which operation to use to solve for T?

If you are not sure which operation to use to solve for T, you can try working backwards. Start with the given answer and perform the inverse operations until you get back to the original equation. This will give you an idea of which operation to use to isolate T. You can also consult with a teacher or tutor for guidance.

5. Can I use a different variable instead of T in my calculation?

Yes, you can use any variable you want in your calculation, as long as you are consistent and remember to solve for that variable. However, using commonly used variables like T, x, or y can make it easier for others to understand your work.