Zinc and Hydrochloric Acid

• Thread starter flumbie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid Zinc
In summary, the Copper ion gets electrons from the zinc and turns into straight copper which leaves zinc free to react with the chlorine to form zinc chloride. This does not affect the rate of hydrogen formation.
flumbie
I'm having some trouble understanding what happens when Zinc and Hydrochloric acid are reacted with Copper Sulfate as a catalyst. I *think* the Copper ion gets electrons from the zinc and turns into straight copper which leaves zinc free to react with the chlorine to form zinc chloride. Does this affect the rate at which hydrogen are formed because the electrons are going from the zinc to the copper instead of from the zinc to hydrogen? Any help much appreciated.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
bumped
Does no one know or do you just not want to tell me?

i guess this is what happens...

the Cu++ is reduced by zinc to Cu and the zinc is oxidised to Zn++. the Zn++ reacts with the Cl-.

the Cu is then oxidised back to Cu++ by H+ which gets reduced to H2

overall reaction: Zn + 2HCl -----> ZnCl2 + H2

Kushal said:
i guess this is what happens...

the Cu++ is reduced by zinc to Cu and the zinc is oxidised to Zn++.
This do really happens, and quite fast, even without HCl, in water, so it's certainly one of the possible reactions.
the Zn++ reacts with the Cl-.

the Cu is then oxidised back to Cu++ by H+ which gets reduced to H2
Zn++ don't react with Cl- in water solution, and Cu cannot be oxidated from H+ in the absence of strong complexants of Cu++. Don't know what really happens but that explanation is not correct.
overall reaction: Zn + 2HCl -----> ZnCl2 + H2
Certainly.

To flumbie: are you sure it was Zn, HCl and CuSO4?

Last edited:
Zn, HCl and CuSO4 works, i remember my teacher saying it.

and of course ZN++ does not REACT with Cl-, the ions remain in solution because ZnCl2 is a strong electrolyte.

but there has to be a way for Cu to get back to Cu++ and H+ to get to H2.

chemisttree heeelp!

Kushal said:
Zn, HCl and CuSO4 works, i remember my teacher saying it.
It does certainly work, but is there really the need of Cu++ as catalyst? If I remember correctly, Zn should react quite fast even with HCl only.
and of course ZN++ does not REACT with Cl-, the ions remain in solution because ZnCl2 is a strong electrolyte.

but there has to be a way for Cu to get back to Cu++ and H+ to get to H2.

chemisttree heeelp!

lightarrow said:
It does certainly work, but is there really the need of Cu++ as catalyst? If I remember correctly, Zn should react quite fast even with HCl only.

It's actually a pretty slow reaction (using 3M HCl at least).

found out how it works

Its not the Cu++ that's the catalyst its actually Cu. The copper ions in the CuSO4 are reduced by zinc which provides a coating of copper to cover the zinc. An electrolytic cell is made where the more reactive metal (Zn) is the anode and Cu is the cathode, with the HCl acting as an electrolyte. This means the hydrogen ions are more likely to be reduced at the cathode which results in a faster reaction rate. The Cu doesn't change back to Cu++ at the end of the experiment which does meant that slightly less hydrogen will be produced however this shouldn't affect the rate of the experiment overly much.

Thanks for the help anyway

flumbie said:
Its not the Cu++ that's the catalyst its actually Cu. The copper ions in the CuSO4 are reduced by zinc which provides a coating of copper to cover the zinc. An electrolytic cell is made where the more reactive metal (Zn) is the anode and Cu is the cathode, with the HCl acting as an electrolyte. This means the hydrogen ions are more likely to be reduced at the cathode which results in a faster reaction rate. The Cu doesn't change back to Cu++ at the end of the experiment which does meant that slightly less hydrogen will be produced however this shouldn't affect the rate of the experiment overly much.

Thanks for the help anyway
And thanks to you to have explained this, it's something interesting I was not aware of. I'm sorry we couldn't help you and I hope you will keep asking interesting questions and that we could help you, next time!
Regards.

yeah... thank you for posting the actual mechanism :)

1. What is the reaction between zinc and hydrochloric acid?

When zinc is added to hydrochloric acid, a chemical reaction takes place where the zinc reacts with the hydrochloric acid to produce hydrogen gas and zinc chloride. This reaction can be represented by the following equation: Zn + 2HCl → ZnCl2 + H2

2. What is the role of zinc in the reaction with hydrochloric acid?

Zinc is a reactive metal and it acts as the reducing agent in the reaction with hydrochloric acid. It donates electrons to the hydrogen ions in the acid, causing them to be reduced to hydrogen gas. This results in the formation of zinc chloride.

3. How does the concentration of hydrochloric acid affect the reaction with zinc?

The concentration of hydrochloric acid can greatly affect the rate of the reaction with zinc. A higher concentration of acid means there are more hydrogen ions available to react with the zinc, resulting in a faster reaction rate. However, if the acid concentration is too high, it can also lead to the passivation of the zinc surface, slowing down the reaction.

4. What are the safety precautions to take when working with zinc and hydrochloric acid?

When working with zinc and hydrochloric acid, it is important to wear protective gear such as gloves, goggles, and a lab coat. Both zinc and hydrochloric acid can cause skin and eye irritation, so it is important to handle them with care. Additionally, the reaction between zinc and hydrochloric acid produces hydrogen gas, which is highly flammable, so proper ventilation is also necessary.

5. Can zinc and hydrochloric acid be used to produce hydrogen gas?

Yes, zinc and hydrochloric acid can be used to produce hydrogen gas. This reaction is commonly used in chemistry experiments to demonstrate the production of hydrogen gas. The amount of hydrogen gas produced can be increased by using a higher concentration of hydrochloric acid and excess zinc. The gas can then be collected and used for various purposes.