How to calculate species abundance and diversity

In summary, the individual tried to solve a problem they weren't studying and didn't know how to solve it. They found an article that explained the concept.
blicker

Homework Statement

This is the sample population taken along a 5m transect:
ants:9
grasshoppers:1
pill bugs:4
spiders:1

Homework Equations

What formulas would i use to calculate the species abundance and diversity?

The Attempt at a Solution

I only know this formula H'=-[itex]\Sigma[/itex] (n[itex]_{}i[/itex]/N)xIn(n[itex]_{}i[/itex]/N) and i don't know what to do with this formula.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi blicker! :smile:

Can it be that your formula is actually:
3799228b95da61aa2eca76e4132f0aa2.png

where "ln" is the natural logarithm (and also a button on your calculator), and where ni is the number of individuals of species i?

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannon_index

yes that's it! but i don't know what numbers go where or how to calculate it. like would i include the sigma symbol and the letters above and below it?

The sigma symbol indicates that you have to sum.
So:
[tex]H'=-\sum_{i=1}^S {n_i \over N} \ln {n_i \over N} = -({n_1 \over N} \ln {n_1 \over N} + {n_2 \over N} \ln {n_2 \over N} + {n_3 \over N} \ln {n_3 \over N} + {n_4 \over N} \ln {n_4 \over N})[/tex]

From wiki:
* ni The number of individuals in species i; the abundance of species i.
* S The number of species. Also called species richness.
* N The total number of all individuals
* pi The relative abundance of each species, calculated as the proportion of individuals of a given species to the total number of individuals in the community: [itex]n_i\over N[/itex]

so would the equation for ants look like this:
-(9/15)In(9/15)

blicker said:
so would the equation for ants look like this:
-(9/15)In(9/15)

Well, Shannon's index specifies to sum all the terms.
So what you mention is only part of H'.

Btw, it is [itex]ln[/itex] ("logarithmus naturalis").But I can't really tell you what your problem asks.
I'm not studying whatever science you're studying - I'm a mathematician.

I did find this article about diversity: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diversity_Index
And apparently [itex]n_i[/itex] is the "species abundance".
Furthermore [itex]p_i={n_i \over N}[/itex] is the "relative species abundance".

well thanks for your help anyway.

1. How do I calculate species abundance and diversity?

To calculate species abundance, you can use the formula: number of individuals of a species / total number of individuals in the sample. To calculate species diversity, you can use the Shannon diversity index formula: H = -Σ(pi * ln(pi)), where pi is the proportion of individuals in the sample belonging to a particular species.

2. What is the purpose of calculating species abundance and diversity?

Calculating species abundance and diversity allows scientists to understand the composition and richness of a community or ecosystem. It can also help in monitoring changes in species populations over time and identifying potential threats to biodiversity.

3. How do I interpret the results of species abundance and diversity calculations?

Species abundance and diversity calculations can provide information on the evenness of species distribution and the richness of a community. A higher diversity value indicates a more diverse community with a more even distribution of species, while a lower diversity value indicates a less diverse community with a more uneven distribution of species.

4. Can I use different methods to calculate species abundance and diversity?

Yes, there are several methods for calculating species abundance and diversity, such as the Simpson index or the Pielou’s evenness index. Each method may provide slightly different results, so it is important to choose the most appropriate method for your specific research question or study area.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating species abundance and diversity?

Yes, there are some limitations to calculating species abundance and diversity. These methods may not accurately reflect the true diversity and abundance of species in a community due to sampling bias or incomplete data. Additionally, they may not take into account other factors such as species interactions or environmental conditions that can affect species populations.