Does science support free-will

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of free will and whether science supports it. It is mentioned that both Newtonian Physics and Quantum Physics do not allow for free will, as everything is either deterministic or based on probabilities. The topic of free will is controversial and has been explored in neuroscience, but not in physics. It is then argued that while humans may have some degree of freedom, it is ultimately limited by the laws of nature. The main question is whether our choices and decisions are predetermined or not.
garyjm68
I am trying to see whether science supports the idea of free-will. I don’t mean the illusion of unpredictability that arises from not understanding all the variables. I mean the type of free-will where you can say ‘I want X to be at position Y at the time Z.

I am wondering whether any field of science supports this.

From my current investigations, it appears that Newtonian Physics does not allow for this because in that field everything is deterministic and is following a set of rules initiated at the big bang.

Quantum Physics also does not allow for this. Although more flexible than Newtonian physics (probabilities instead of rigid laws) Quantum physics still implies that we do not determine where a particle will appear (Probability decides) If we want the X to appear at a position with a near zero probability then we will remain wanting.

I will be grateful for any help with this matter.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
The most popular scientific experiment testing free will was Libet's, but there have been follow-up experiments. Most of them don't look good for what we perceive as free will. This is, of course, a very controversial issue, but this has been a neuroscience topic, not a physics topic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroscience_of_free_will

Organism behavior is currently thought to be dictated by classical laws. Penrose proposed a quantum effect underlying consciousness, but it is largely unaccepted.

To elaborate a little on this one , well free will by itself is a very very wide ranging phrase.
free will in human emotions, actions and interactions is a totally different thing as to compared to some set of physical constants and rules on which this world works.

I can tell you that in physics or the material world which is also the world in which our physical bodies interact and which we can measure , free will only goes as far as it can until it is being restricted by the laws of nature , just like a train can only function on rails it can;t just decide to jump off and go snowboarding on the hill right... :)

Now you can clearly make a car or a air baloon and decide which day under which conditions and to which way you want to go so I would say we as humans being part of this whole universal machine have a given amount of freedom in which we can do some things into some boundaries just like driving a car you have a choice whether to drive a little closer to the middle or the side of the road but you have to drive on the road you can't just drive on a field or in the middle of the forest so by this I want to say that our free will, if we can even call it so, is restricted and also determined by the laws of nature.

Last edited by a moderator:
Crazymechanic said:
Now you can clearly make a car or a air baloon and decide which day under which conditions and to which way you want to go so I would say we as humans being part of this whole universal machine have a given amount of freedom in which we can do some things into some boundaries just like driving a car you have a choice whether to drive a little closer to the middle or the side of the road but you have to drive on the road you can't just drive on a field or in the middle of the forest so by this I want to say that our free will, if we can even call it so, is restricted and also determined by the laws of nature.

But the interesting question is not whether we can drive a little closer to the line or not. It's not really whether we have choices at all. We clearly have choices and make decisions. The question is whether those choices and decision-making processes are deterministic or not.

for your question. The concept of free-will is a complex and debated topic in both philosophy and science. I can offer some insights on how science approaches this concept.

Firstly, it is important to note that science is limited in its ability to address philosophical concepts such as free-will. Science is based on empirical evidence and the scientific method, which involves making observations, formulating hypotheses, and testing them through experiments. Free-will, on the other hand, is a philosophical concept that is difficult to study using scientific methods.

That being said, there are some scientific studies that have explored the idea of free-will. One study published in the journal Nature Neuroscience found that the brain activity associated with making a decision can be detected up to 7 seconds before a person is consciously aware of making the decision. This suggests that our decisions may be influenced by unconscious processes, rather than a conscious choice.

Additionally, some studies in neuroscience have shown that our brains are wired to make decisions based on past experiences, genetics, and environmental factors. This suggests that our decisions may not be entirely free from external influences.

In terms of your question about whether any field of science supports the idea of free-will, it is important to note that different fields of science may have different perspectives on this topic. For example, in the field of psychology, there is a debate about whether our actions are determined by external factors or if we have the ability to make choices.

In conclusion, while science may not be able to provide a definitive answer on the concept of free-will, it can offer some insights and evidence on how our decisions may be influenced by various factors. Ultimately, the question of free-will may be better explored through philosophical and ethical discussions rather than scientific studies.

1. Is free will supported by scientific evidence?

No, there is no conclusive scientific evidence that supports the existence of free will. While there are many theories and hypotheses about free will, there is no way to definitively prove that it exists.

2. Can science explain the concept of free will?

No, science cannot fully explain the concept of free will. While some scientists and philosophers have proposed theories about how free will may work, it is ultimately a philosophical and ethical concept that falls outside the realm of scientific study.

3. Are genetics and biology responsible for free will?

Some researchers have suggested that genetics and biology may play a role in shaping our behaviors, thoughts, and decisions. However, this does not necessarily mean that free will does not exist. It is possible that genetics and biology may influence our choices, but we still have the ability to make decisions and act upon them.

4. Can free will and determinism coexist in a scientific framework?

Some scientists and philosophers argue that free will and determinism are not mutually exclusive. They suggest that even if our actions are influenced by factors such as genetics and environment, we still have the ability to make choices and exercise our free will. Therefore, free will can coexist with determinism within a scientific framework.

5. What are the implications of free will for scientific research and ethics?

The existence of free will has significant implications for scientific research and ethics. If free will does not exist, then our actions and decisions may be predetermined, which could have implications for how we understand responsibility and moral accountability. However, if free will does exist, then we must consider the role it plays in our actions and decisions when conducting research and making ethical decisions.