Proof that NxN~N

by cragar
Tags: nxnn, proof
Share this thread:
cragar
Mar26-14, 11:41 PM
P: 2,468
I thought of a way to use Gaussian integers to show that NxN~N
We look at (1+i)(1-i) and this corresponds to the coordinate (1,1)
then (1+2i)(1-2i)-->(1,2) then (1+3i)(1-3i)-->(1,3).... and you keep doing this, so we have injected NxN into N.
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Researcher figures out how sharks manage to act like math geniuses
Math journal puts Rauzy fractcal image on the cover
Heat distributions help researchers to understand curved space
cragar
Mar27-14, 03:16 AM
P: 2,468
actually there is a problem with this (x,y) and (y,x) get mapped to the same integer
Mark44
Mar27-14, 10:41 AM
Mentor
P: 21,408
It looks to me like your mapping goes from N to N x N. Is that what you intended? (1 + i)(1 - i) = 1 - i2 = 1 + 1 = 2. So here the integer 2 is mapped to (1, 1). Did you mean for it to go the other way?

HallsofIvy
Mar27-14, 02:37 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,683
Proof that NxN~N

The fundamental problem is that N x N is NOT equivalent to N, it has the same cardinality as the set of rational numbers. It appears that your assignment is "one-to-one" but not "onto".
micromass
Mar27-14, 02:57 PM
Mentor
P: 18,345
Quote Quote by HallsofIvy View Post
The fundamental problem is that N x N is NOT equivalent to N, it has the same cardinality as the set of rational numbers. It appears that your assignment is "one-to-one" but not "onto".
But ##\mathbb{N}## is equivalent to ##\mathbb{N}\times\mathbb{N}##...
Jorriss
Mar27-14, 03:01 PM
P: 1,072
Quote Quote by HallsofIvy View Post
The rationals and the naturals do have the same cardinality.

Register to reply