What does an 2H- in front of a chemical symbol mean? (i.e. 2H-MoX_2)

In summary, the conversation discusses the notation used for transition metal dichalcogenides, specifically the 2H- notation. This notation refers to the hexagonal stacking motif, with two layers per unit cell. It is different from the ABAB stacking seen in the 3R structure, which has three layers per unit cell. The 2H- notation is based on Ramsdell notation and signifies the number of layers and the type of stacking.
maverick_starstrider
Title says it all. I'm reading a lot about the transition metal dichalcogenides and I often see something like

2H-MoS_2

What does that 2H- mean? My best guess is that it has something to do with a hexagonal lattice or stacking or something. Anybody know?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, it has to do with stacking. There are several notations, of which I'm most used the ABC one myself. However, I think this is Ramsdell notation, in which H=hexagonal and the number two would signify the number of layers. Hence 2H should correspond to AB stacking, which agrees with the figure here.

Indeed, 2H is the hexagonal stacking motif, with two layers per unit cell. Note that this isn't quite ABAB stacking, since one layer is not a simple translation of the other, but rather requires a rotation. 2H should be contrasted with the 3R (rhombohedral) structure, with three layers per unit cell, all simple translations. See here for example.

1. What does the 2H- in front of a chemical symbol mean?

The 2H- in front of a chemical symbol indicates that the element is a hydrogen isotope with a mass number of 2. This is different from the most common form of hydrogen, which has a mass number of 1.

2. How is 2H- different from regular hydrogen?

2H- is an isotope of hydrogen, meaning it has the same number of protons but a different number of neutrons. This can affect the chemical and physical properties of the element.

3. What is the significance of the 2H- in chemical formulas?

The 2H- is important in chemical formulas because it indicates the specific isotope of hydrogen that is present in the compound. This can have implications for the reactivity and stability of the compound.

4. Can you give an example of a compound with 2H- in its chemical formula?

One example is deuterated water, also known as heavy water, which has the chemical formula 2H2O. This means that both hydrogen atoms in the compound are the 2H- isotope.

5. How is 2H- used in scientific research?

2H- is often used in scientific research as a tracer or label to track the movement of molecules in chemical reactions. It can also be used in nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy to study the structure and dynamics of molecules.