Isomers of Butene: A Comprehensive Guide to 5 Variants | Ausetute

• Thread starter kelvin macks
  • Start date
In summary, the website only shows 5 isomers for butene, which are 1-butene, 2-butene (cis and trans), 2-methylpropene, and cyclobutane. However, there is an extra isomer, 1-methyl-propene, which is not listed on the website. It is not clear where the methyl group should be placed in the propene skeleton, but if it is attached to the #1 carbon, it is equivalent to 2-butene. The naming convention for propene states that the #1 carbon is the one with the double bond to its neighbor, so the substituent should be attached to this carbon. Since the methyl group is attached to the #3
kelvin macks
this website only shows 5 isomer for butene. which is 1-butene, 2-butene(cis and trans), 2-methylpropene, cyclobutane. but i have 1 extra compared to the website which is 1-methyl-propene. I correct or the website correct?

http://www.ausetute.com.au/namisene.html

Chemistry news on Phys.org
1-methyl-propene is equivalent of either 1-butene or 2-butene. I am not sure of which, as it is not clear to me where do you want to put the methyl.

Putting the methyl on the #1 carbon of the propene makes the carbon skeleton 4 carbons long and linear - the same as 2-butene.

Borek said:
1-methyl-propene is equivalent of either 1-butene or 2-butene. I am not sure of which, as it is not clear to me where do you want to put the methyl.

here's is it. I'm not sure whether the name is correct or not.

Attachments

• IMG_20140610_073343[1].jpg
    IMG_20140610_073343[1].jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 577
And how the structure in your image is different from butene-1?

The names seems to be confused about exactly which carbon on the propene skeleton is the #1 carbon.
By convention, the #1 carbon in propene is the one on the end that has the double bond to its neighbor.
That said, you have attached a substituent group (methyl) to the #3 carbon, not the #1 carbon.
If the substituent were anything that did not have a carbon attaching to the propene, then the nomenclature should be somethhing like 3-[substituent]propene.
For example 3-bromopropene or 3-ethoxypropene.
Since you have attached another carbon to the 3-carbon chain of the propene, your carbon skeleton is now longer, and the name propene no longer applies.

1. What are isomers?

Isomers are compounds that have the same molecular formula but different chemical structures. They have the same number of atoms, but the atoms are arranged in a different way, resulting in different physical and chemical properties.

2. How many isomers does butene have?

Butene has five isomers: 1-butene, cis-2-butene, trans-2-butene, 1,2-butadiene, and 1,3-butadiene. These isomers differ in the placement of the double bond and the position of the carbon atoms.

3. What is the difference between cis-2-butene and trans-2-butene?

Cis-2-butene and trans-2-butene are both structural isomers of butene, but they have different configurations around the double bond. In cis-2-butene, the two methyl groups are on the same side of the double bond, while in trans-2-butene, they are on opposite sides. This results in different physical and chemical properties.

4. How are the isomers of butene used in the industry?

The isomers of butene have various industrial applications. 1-butene is used in the production of synthetic rubber and plastic, cis-2-butene is used in the production of butene-1, which is a raw material for gasoline blending, and trans-2-butene is used in the production of polyethylene. 1,2-butadiene and 1,3-butadiene are used in the production of synthetic rubber, such as styrene-butadiene rubber and polybutadiene rubber.

5. Are the isomers of butene harmful to human health?

The isomers of butene are not considered harmful to human health in small amounts. However, exposure to large amounts of these compounds can cause irritation to the skin, eyes, and respiratory tract. 1,3-butadiene has been classified as a potential carcinogen by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC).