EE Topic: Relation between Temperature and Natural Frequency of an obj

In summary: Thanks for the input.In summary, it seems that there is a correlation between Young's Modulus and temperature, but it is not always clear-cut and depends on the material.
Said97
Hi guys,

I am still new to this forum, so I hope I can learn many things from this forum :)

I am currently looking for my IB EE topic about the relation between temperature and natural frequency on an object.

I have been researching about this topic, however I don't find any specific formula nor theory relating temperature with the natural frequency of an object. The closest I got was the relation between stator natural frequency with the Young Modulus of the object. I have seen article that talk about the relation the Young Modulus and Temperature are related. What do you guys think about it? Will it work? or is there any theory that relates the temperature and natural frequency of an object?

Thank you so much.

Science news on Phys.org
Said97 said:
The closest I got was the relation between stator natural frequency with the Young Modulus of the object. I have seen article that talk about the relation the Young Modulus and Temperature are related.

That's the reason. The relation between Young's Modulus and temperature depends on the material, but almost always, E decreases as T increases.

There are other effects as well. For example in a musical instrument like a guitar, if the thermal expansion coefficient of the strings is different from the expansion coefficient of the instrument itself, the tension in the strings will vary with temperature and change the vibration frequency.

The speed of sound in air varies with temperature, and that affects the vibration frequency of the air in pipes, etc.

You could probably do some experiments on stringed and wind instruments yourself. Temperature changes of a few degrees C will give a measurable effect. Experimenting on "solid objects" would be harder to do, because you would need higher temperatures (e.g. up to a few hundred degrees C) to get large differences.

AlephZero said:
You could probably do some experiments on stringed and wind instruments yourself. Temperature changes of a few degrees C will give a measurable effect. Experimenting on "solid objects" would be harder to do, because you would need higher temperatures (e.g. up to a few hundred degrees C) to get large differences.

What an awesome idea! It would make for a great science fair project.

1. What is the relationship between temperature and natural frequency of an object?

The natural frequency of an object refers to the frequency at which it vibrates when disturbed. The relationship between temperature and natural frequency is that as temperature increases, the natural frequency of an object will also increase. This is due to the fact that temperature affects the stiffness and elasticity of materials, causing the object to vibrate at a higher frequency.

2. How does temperature affect the stiffness of an object?

Temperature has a direct effect on the stiffness of an object. When temperature increases, the molecules within the object will vibrate at a higher frequency, causing them to move more and take up more space. This results in an increase in the stiffness of the object, which in turn affects its natural frequency.

3. Are there any exceptions to the relationship between temperature and natural frequency?

There are some exceptions to the relationship between temperature and natural frequency. For example, if an object is made of a material that has a negative temperature coefficient of elasticity, its stiffness will decrease as temperature increases. This will cause the natural frequency of the object to decrease as well.

4. How does the relationship between temperature and natural frequency apply to different materials?

The relationship between temperature and natural frequency applies differently to different materials. This is because different materials have different coefficients of elasticity and thermal expansion. Therefore, the effect of temperature on the natural frequency of an object will vary depending on its material composition.

5. Can the relationship between temperature and natural frequency be used for practical applications?

Yes, the relationship between temperature and natural frequency has practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and chemistry. It can be used to design and improve the efficiency of various devices and systems that rely on vibration, such as musical instruments and aerospace structures.