Meet the Winter Olympics' Charming Mascots: Neve and Gliz

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bomb
In summary, these mascots are called Neve and Gliz and they are two ice cubes that represent the essence of winter sports. They are gentle and playful, and complement each other well.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
These are the mascots to the winter olympics this year :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy:

2006_winter_olympics_mascot.jpg

"Neve": she is a gentle, kind and elegant snowball; "Gliz": he is a lively, playful ice cube. They are the two symbolic characters of the XX Olympic Winter Games. They complement each other and personify the very essence of winter sports.

http://www.olympic.org/uk/games/torino/open_mascotte_uk.asp

Need I say more?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's wrong? Also, Ice VI is the most common form of solidified water on the planet, which the winter season is characterized throughout the free world.

Pengwuino said:
These are the mascots to the winter olympics this year :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy:

2006_winter_olympics_mascot.jpg

http://www.olympic.org/uk/games/torino/open_mascotte_uk.asp

Need I say more?

What, that supposed to be a sex chromosome? Alright, I'd do her :tongue2:

But then again, you probably think too much.. its just a what are youmacallit a logo!

cronxeh said:
What, that supposed to be a sex chromosome?
:rofl: That's exactly the first thing that came to my mind too when I saw them...chromosomes! :rofl: I wonder how much they paid an artist to come up with those characters? But, hey, it takes guts to call a stick figure a mascot! :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
I wonder how much they paid an artist to come up with those characters?

Artist ?

These figures were not created by a child ?

marlon

Would you like a nuke, firebomb or just plain old saturation bombing? $10 million apiece, in cash with half up front.

marlon said:
Artist ?

These figures were not created by a child ?

marlon
Nope, apparently the creator is a 38-yr old. I wonder what the other entries looked like if this was the winner of the competition? (I hadn't followed the link before to see that it was a competition.)

If it was a contest among school children, I'd understand and consider it more sweet than lame, but since it was not done by children...:rolleyes:

Dawguard said:
Would you like a nuke, firebomb or just plain old saturation bombing? $10 million apiece, in cash with half up front.
:rolleyes:

how can we be certain that you actually can execute this job ? What are your credentials ?

marlon

marlon said:
:rolleyes:

how can we be certain that you actually can execute this job ? What are your credentials ?

marlon
Well...as for credentials you'll have to take my word for it. They revoked my security clearence after I used a nuclear warhead to keep my pizza warm. As such I no longer have acess to the necessary documents to prove it. Trust me, Torino will burn if you pay me the $10 million :devil: HAHAHAHAHAAAA

Darned it we need a PENGUIN as the mascot for the Olympics.

Dawguard said:
Well...as for credentials you'll have to take my word for it. They revoked my security clearence after I used a nuclear warhead to keep my pizza warm. As such I no longer have acess to the necessary documents to prove it. Trust me, Torino will burn if you pay me the $10 million :devil: HAHAHAHAHAAAA
Just hold on a while. Ok, forget about the credentials. Tell me, what was your latest score ? At what age did you begin "bombing" ? Why did you chose this line of work ? I want a complete psychological overview.

marlon

marlon said:
Just hold on a while. Ok, forget about the credentials. Tell me, what was your latest score ? At what age did you begin "bombing" ? Why did you chose this line of work ? I want a complete psychological overview.

marlon
My bombing career began when I saw Dr. Strangelove at nineteen years old. I immediatly joined the Air Forces's nuclear weapons division as a satteliete systems operator. Over time I was transferred to transportation and testing. Shortly after that they found me using the warhead to keep pizza warm and gave me a dishonourable discharge. Ever since then I've taken up the hobby of collecting different types of bombs. It's just a hobby, but I figured I might put some of my more redundant pieces to work. Sure, it's an expensive hobby but I've managed to get funding from various groups. I'm not sure who they are, I think they're charities that fund various collecters. They're nice, generous people.

Omg those are retarded! Shame on whoever created those...I thought Italians were supposed to be good artists.

Moonbear said:
:rofl: That's exactly the first thing that came to my mind too when I saw them...chromosomes! :rofl: I wonder how much they paid an artist to come up with those characters? But, hey, it takes guts to call a stick figure a mascot! :biggrin:

OK, those are totally chromosomes. And they are crossing over!

http://www.olympic.org/common/images/games/torino/v_mascotte_400.gif [Broken]

They make a big deal about the artist and his inspiration..
The mascots were born from the pencil of Pedro Albuquerque, a 38-year old Portuguese designer who won the international competition launched by the Organising Committee for the Olympic Games in Turin (TOROC) on 25 March 2003. He was inspired by his passion for water and the incredible shapes this element takes on when it is transformed into snow or ice; by his research into the Italian spirit and the places hosting the Olympic Games; by the Olympic values; and by the technical characteristics of the various sporting disciplines of the Games...

.. but then Pedro said, "meh", got drunk, and drew the logo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Math Is Hard said:

:rofl: :tongue2:

scorpa said:
Omg those are retarded! Shame on whoever created those...I thought Italians were supposed to be good artists.

Oh let's be realistic. It is obvious this masterpiece was inspired by such greats as Da Vinci and his works. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Math Is Hard said:

[/URL]

Chiasma!

Someone tell that guy in the blue to stop being such a damn block head.

[/QUOTE]

words can't explain how much I hate that logo. ugh.

1. Who are Neve and Gliz?

Neve and Gliz are the official mascots of the 2022 Winter Olympics, which will be held in Beijing, China. Neve represents the Winter Olympics and Gliz represents the Paralympics.

2. What do Neve and Gliz represent?

Neve and Gliz represent the spirit of the Winter Olympics and Paralympics, as well as the cultures and values of China. They also symbolize the harmony between humans and nature.

3. What inspired the design of Neve and Gliz?

The design of Neve and Gliz was inspired by traditional Chinese folklore and the landscapes of Beijing. Neve is a Chinese guardian lion while Gliz is a Chinese lantern festival figure.

4. How were Neve and Gliz chosen as the mascots for the 2022 Winter Olympics?

Neve and Gliz were chosen through a nationwide competition in China that invited submissions from designers and artists. The final design was selected by a panel of judges and the public.

5. Will Neve and Gliz have any special roles during the 2022 Winter Olympics?

Yes, Neve and Gliz will have many special roles during the 2022 Winter Olympics. They will appear at various events, interact with athletes and spectators, and promote the values of the Olympics and Paralympics.

Back