Loss due to open channel to pipe flow transition

In summary, the entrance loss for an open channel to a pipe is K*(V2^2 - V1^2)/2g, which comes from the energy equation.
miriza
Hi!

I have the following equation for the entrance loss from an open channel to a pipe, but I'm not sure how it was derived:

hloss = K*(V2^2 - V1^2)/2g

I have always seen entrance losses as: K*(V^2)/2g, but why is the channel flow velocity considered in the equation above.

Thanks, Michelle

Engineering news on Phys.org
hloss = K*(V2^2 - V1^2)/2g
Comes from the energy equation.

[itex]\frac{p_1}{\rho g}\,+\,\alpha_1\frac{\bar{V}^2}{2g}\,+\,z_1\,=\,\frac{p_2}{\rho g}\,+\,\alpha_2\frac{\bar{V}^2}{2g}\,+\,z_2\,+\,h_{l_T}[/itex] from Robert Fox & Alan MacDonald, Introduction to Fluid Mechanics, John Wiley & Sons, 1978.

K*(V^2)/2g
is used with respect to the entrance of the pipe. V is the mean velocity. Perhaps the K's are different (?). Some additional discussion is needed.

I can't say that any of my references have this situation. It's either open channel or pipe, not a combination. I will look around to see what I can find as well.

Fred and Astronuc:

Thanks for the help...

Just to add more info: The case I'm interested in is an open channel discharging into a box culvert and then back into an open channel.

I actually found a reference that has a similar equation, but I'm still not sure exactly how it was derived. The book is "Hydraulic Engineering" by Roberson, Cassidy and Chaudry (1988 Houghton Mifflin). There is a section on channel-flume transitions where it says:

*For an inlet transition (contraction): the loss would be KI * V^2/2g, where KI is the loss coefficient for the transition and V is the velocity of the downstream conduit (the highest mean velocity), which would be the pipe velocity in my case of channel to culvert flow.
*For an expansion, the head loss would be KE (V1^2-V2^2)/2g where KE is the loss coefficient for the expansion, V1 is the mean velocity at the upstream end (culvert in my case) and V2 is the mean velocity at the downstream end (open channel in my case).

Expansion losses in theory should be greater than contraction losses. However, when I use the 2 equations above I get much greater contraction losses (probably because there is only one velocity term in the contraction loss). I'm really lost here...any clue?

Thanks, Michelle

What is "Loss due to open channel to pipe flow transition"?

"Loss due to open channel to pipe flow transition" refers to the reduction in flow rate and energy in an open channel when it transitions to a pipe. This loss is caused by changes in the flow pattern and friction between the water and pipe walls.

How does the shape of the transition affect the loss?

The shape of the transition from an open channel to a pipe can greatly affect the loss. A gradual and smooth transition will result in lower losses compared to a sudden and sharp transition. This is because a gradual transition allows for a smoother change in flow pattern and less turbulence, reducing the energy loss.

What factors influence the loss due to open channel to pipe flow transition?

Several factors can affect the loss in this type of flow transition, including the geometry of the channel and pipe, the flow rate, and the properties of the fluid (such as viscosity and density). Additionally, the type of flow (laminar or turbulent) can also impact the loss.

How is the loss due to open channel to pipe flow transition calculated?

The loss due to this type of flow transition can be calculated using the energy equation, which takes into account the change in flow rate, change in energy, and losses due to friction and other factors. Alternatively, empirical formulas and mathematical models can also be used to estimate the loss.

What are some methods to reduce the loss in open channel to pipe flow transition?

To minimize the loss in this type of flow transition, it is important to design a smooth and gradual transition from the open channel to the pipe. Additionally, using a larger pipe diameter and reducing the flow velocity can also help decrease the loss. Proper maintenance and cleaning of the pipe can also prevent blockages and reduce the loss.