Calculating Damped Oscillation Frequency: 1-(8π²n²)-1

In summary, the conversation discusses a method for showing the relationship between the frequency of a damped oscillation and the frequency of an undamped oscillation. It suggests evaluating the damping factor after n periods and setting it equal to 1/e in order to find this relationship. The conversation also mentions using a critical damping assumption in the calculation.
yukcream
if the amplitude of a damped oscillation is decrease to 1/e after n periods, how can i show that the frequency is about [1-(8pi^2n^2)-1]times the frequency of undamped ocillations? can i assume that the oscillation is critical damping such that the term b/2m and k/m can be cancel in the expression of the damped frequency and natural freuency relation?

thanks for attention!

yukyuk

Physics news on Phys.org
You know the damping factor and the modified period in terms of the undamped period and the damping constant. You should probably start by evaluating the damping factor after n periods and setting it equal to 1/e.

To physics monkey,

Thanks for your help but i cannot understand what you mean? how can i write out the relation between the damped period and undamped~ quite confusing !:frown: Also why I start by evaluating the damping factor after n periods and setting it equal to 1/e?

yuk

What is damped oscillation frequency?

Damped oscillation frequency refers to the rate at which a damped harmonic oscillator completes one cycle of oscillation.

How do you calculate damped oscillation frequency?

The formula for calculating damped oscillation frequency is 1/(2π) * √(k/m), where k is the spring constant and m is the mass of the oscillating object.

What is the significance of the constant 8π² in the formula?

The constant 8π² in the formula is derived from the relationship between the angular frequency (ω) and the frequency (f) of the oscillation, where ω = 2πf. This results in the formula being written as 1/(2π) * √(k/m) = 1/√(4π²) * √(k/m) = 1/(2π) * √(k/m) * √(4π²) = 1/(2π) * √(4π²k/m) = 1/(2π) * √(8π²k/m) = 1/(2π) * √(8π²k/m) = 1/√(8π²) * √(k/m) = 1/√(8π²) * √(k/m) = 1/√(8π²) * √(k/m) = 1/(8π²) * √(k/m) = 1-8π²n²-1 where n represents the number of oscillations.

How does damping affect the oscillation frequency?

Damping decreases the amplitude of the oscillation over time, which also decreases the oscillation frequency. This is because the energy of the system is dissipated through the damping process.

What factors can influence damped oscillation frequency?

The factors that can influence damped oscillation frequency include the mass and stiffness of the oscillating object, the amount of damping present, and external forces acting on the system.