General solution to the circuits

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with R1, R3, and R5 in increasing magnitude and R2 being constant. The equivalent resistance of the ladder network is R2 in parallel with the rest of the ladder. The question is whether there is a general formula for this problem, to which the response is that R2 is the solution. The discussion also mentions the measured resistance and current through different points in the circuit. The concept of infinity is brought up in relation to the resistance and current values.
killingb
assuming that the circuit will lead to infinite, but converging, and R1,R3,R5 are in increasing magnitude, R2 is constant, is there a general formula for this problem?

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 357
Engineering news on Phys.org
Not that I could help you with your question anyhow, but it might be a good idea for you to re-post your diagram. I can't even see the lettering on it.

The equivalent resistance of the ladder network is [tex]R_2[/tex] in parallel with the rest of the ladder (from [tex]R_1[/tex] to infinity).
If I understood it well, [tex]R_2[/tex] is the solution. For the resistance of a parallel connection to be equal to one of the resistances, the other one must be infinity.

My apologies, killingb... I didn't realize until now that the picture was enlargeable after opening. :redface:

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the question is.

If you lable the left input as A B and the right output as C D.

Then the measured resistance A B will never be greater than R_2,1 or less than sqrt(R_2,1^2 + R_1^2).
The measured resistance at C D will never be > R_n + R_2,n or < R_n.
The measured current through R_2,n will approach 0.

Where does the infinity come from?

What is a general solution to circuits?

A general solution to circuits is a mathematical formula or set of equations used to describe the behavior of an electrical circuit. It takes into account the various components and their relationships, such as voltage, current, and resistance.

How is a general solution to circuits different from a specific solution?

A general solution to circuits is a broad approach that can be applied to a wide range of circuits, while a specific solution is tailored to a particular circuit with specific values for components. The general solution provides a framework for solving circuit problems, while a specific solution gives a precise answer for a specific circuit.

What are the key components of a general solution to circuits?

The key components of a general solution to circuits include Ohm's law, Kirchhoff's laws, and various circuit analysis techniques such as nodal and mesh analysis. These components allow for the calculation of voltage, current, and other parameters in a circuit.

Why is it important to have a general solution to circuits?

A general solution to circuits provides a systematic and efficient approach to solving circuit problems. It allows for the analysis of complex circuits and the prediction of circuit behavior, making it a valuable tool for engineers and scientists working with electrical systems.

Are there any limitations to a general solution to circuits?

While a general solution to circuits is a powerful tool, it may not always provide an exact solution for every circuit. In some cases, simplifying assumptions may need to be made, or more complex techniques may be required. Additionally, a general solution may not account for non-idealities in real-world circuits, such as resistance in wires and components.