How can we improve ELV management in Abu Dhabi?

• Thread starter FaNgS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vehicles
In summary: Elv engineer from Bangalore, India, has been advocating for the regulation of ELVs. He believes that the lifespan of an ELV should be determined by the lifespan of the battery. He states, "The lifespan of the battery should be the limit of the lifespan of the vehicle." Moudgil also believes that the lifespan of an ELV should be determined by the lifespan of the battery. He states, "The lifespan of the battery should be the limit of the lifespan of the vehicle."

Select the most appealing topic

• Automotive shredder residue (ASR) and ELVs

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Government imposed laws and legislations aout ELVs and the environment

• Car usage and growth throughout the years and its impact on the environment

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Improving ELV management

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Imposing laws on car manufactures to create "recycable" parts (body parts and what not)

• Total voters
FaNgS
End-of-life vehicles or ELVs

As part of my communication course, we (4 team members and myself) are supposed to select a topic, study it and some certain aspect of it for 18 weeks (one whole semester) and come up with a recommendation report and finally a multimedia presentation to persuade an audience about the problem with our topic and that the recommendations that we've come up with is/are the best solution(s).

(Bored already? :zzz: :tongue2: )

The topic we've chosen is managing ELVs in the city we live in, Abu Dhabi U.A.E.

A big problem we will be facing in the future is obtaining information from the government here about ELVs and how they are managed.
We have a huge industrial site with thousands of second-hand part car dealers which we are willing to interview to obtain some, if any, information from them. Plus, the government here is really discreet and will not give off information and is not available anywhere online.

I'd like some input from you guys if possible about what exact approach you would find more appealing to the topic and any other approaches. We are still in the beginning stages of the research/project, we are now looking up literature about the current advances being carried out in the US, Europe, Japan and China.
Our instructor, suggests concentrating on the literature from European sources, since as she says: "...the people in Europe are a bit more environment concerned than in the US and other places...".

These are just a few of the approaches we have come up with:

1- Automotive shredder residue (ASR) and ELVs
2- Government imposed laws and legislations aout ELVs and the environment
3- Car usage and growth throughout the years and its impact on the environment
4- Improving ELV management
5- Imposing laws on car manufactures to create "recycable" parts (body parts and what not)

About choice 5 i do believe this has started already

Any feedback is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
End-of-life vehicle sounds like a coffin on wheels. What defines/constrains the lifespan of a vehicle?

verty said:
End-of-life vehicle sounds like a coffin on wheels. What defines/constrains the lifespan of a vehicle?

haha I thought this was going to be a discourse on metaphysics when I saw the title =P

Looked like a topic about hearses, or NHS ambulances to me!

My approach to ELV's is simple; I drive 'em. When they just won't go any more, I take the electrical goodies out and use the rest as lawn decorations.

as a older car nut and hot rodder
I sure will fight this BS

btw I don't want a car that's spys or reports on me
like the new ones do
or one that can be tracked by a button push

Elv

Hi Friends,

I think you have restricted yourselves by giving the topic for your project as "ELV in the city where we live in" Because I don't think Abu Dhabi has passed any legislations on this. As your instructor rightly mentioned, ELV at European Unions is a little more stringent, though this is applicable to the whole world. What you can do is, keeping EU legislations in mind, go ahead with your survey and submit the data to your GOVT with your suggestions, ofcourse...if allowed!

Good luck

Keshava Prasad M

1. What are end-of-life vehicles (ELVs) and why is it important to manage them?

End-of-life vehicles refer to cars, trucks, and other motorized vehicles that have reached the end of their useful life and are no longer operable. It is important to manage them because they contain hazardous materials and fluids that can harm the environment if not properly disposed of. Additionally, managing ELVs can help recover valuable materials and reduce the environmental impact of vehicle production.

2. How are end-of-life vehicles managed?

End-of-life vehicles are typically managed through a process called recycling, which involves dismantling the vehicle and separating its parts and materials for reuse or disposal. This process can be carried out by specialized facilities that have the equipment and expertise to handle ELVs safely and responsibly.

3. What are the environmental benefits of managing end-of-life vehicles?

Managing end-of-life vehicles can have a number of environmental benefits. It can reduce the amount of waste sent to landfills, conserve natural resources by recovering valuable materials, and lower the carbon footprint of vehicle production by using recycled materials. Proper management of ELVs can also prevent pollution and protect ecosystems from the harmful effects of hazardous materials.

4. How do regulations and policies impact the management of end-of-life vehicles?

The management of end-of-life vehicles is often regulated by government agencies to ensure proper handling and disposal of hazardous materials. These regulations can vary by country or region, but generally require ELVs to be properly dismantled, drained of fluids, and recycled. In some cases, there may also be financial incentives or penalties for manufacturers to design vehicles that are easier to recycle and dispose of.

5. What challenges are faced in managing end-of-life vehicles?

One of the main challenges in managing end-of-life vehicles is the proper handling and disposal of hazardous materials, such as batteries, oils, and refrigerants. These materials require specialized equipment and processes to handle safely. Additionally, the increasing complexity of vehicle design can make it more difficult to dismantle and recycle ELVs. Adequate infrastructure and coordination among stakeholders, such as manufacturers, recyclers, and government agencies, are also important for effective management of ELVs.