How Do You Calculate the Percent Change in Momentum for a Lorry?

In summary, To calculate the % change in momentum of a lorry traveling at a constant velocity of 13.41m/s from loaded to unloaded, you need to use the equation change = momentum_full - momentum_unloaded = v(m1-m2) and then use the formula percentage change = (change / momentum_full) * 100%. In this case, the change would be a 25.8% decrease in momentum from loaded to unloaded.
spritchs
% Change in Momentum

1. I do not understand how to do this question as part of my revision. can anyone help? ''Calculate the % change in the momentum of the lorry from loaded to unloaded whilst traveling at a constant velocity of 13.41m/s''

2. Momentum = mass x velocity? Loaded lorry weighs 3100kg unloaded weighs 2300kgs.

Physics news on Phys.org
would change be 25.8% decrease in momentum from loaded to unloaded?

spritchs said:
would change be 25.8% decrease in momentum from loaded to unloaded?

Yup, that looks correct to me.

[In future, please show your work, as it is easier for someone to check your work than to do it themselves!]

Last edited:
change = momentum_full - momentum unloaded = m1v - m2v = v(m1-m2)

percentage change = (change / momentum_full) * 100%

Last edited:
yeah, i know, i corrected it right after i'd posted it.

dobry_den said:
yeah, i know, i corrected it right after i'd posted it.

Which is why I deleted my last post :smile:

What is "Percent Change in Momentum"?

"Percent Change in Momentum" is a measure of the percentage increase or decrease in an object's momentum over a certain period of time. It is calculated by taking the difference between the initial momentum and the final momentum, dividing it by the initial momentum, and multiplying by 100.

How is "Percent Change in Momentum" different from regular momentum?

"Percent Change in Momentum" takes into account the change in momentum over time, whereas regular momentum only measures the object's initial momentum. It allows for a better understanding of how an object's momentum is changing over time.

What factors can affect the "Percent Change in Momentum" of an object?

The "Percent Change in Momentum" of an object can be affected by external forces, such as friction or air resistance, as well as the mass and velocity of the object itself. It can also be affected by collisions with other objects.

How is "Percent Change in Momentum" used in real-world applications?

"Percent Change in Momentum" is a useful concept in real-world applications such as sports, where athletes aim to increase their momentum in order to achieve greater speed or distance. It is also used in physics and engineering to analyze the effects of forces on objects and to design efficient and safe structures and vehicles.

Can "Percent Change in Momentum" be negative?

Yes, "Percent Change in Momentum" can be negative if the final momentum is less than the initial momentum. This indicates a decrease in momentum over time. In contrast, a positive "Percent Change in Momentum" indicates an increase in momentum over time.